So it's been a bloody rollercoaster ride

• 12 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Some of you in here know my story I was diagnosed with stage 4 osophagus cancer last September with the cancer also spreading to my lymthnodes. I wasn't given a very good prognosis and was pretty much told months to live. My reaction to chemo/herceptin was immense when it come to scan results in jan/Feb the treatment had decimated the cancer and we were all over the moon.

The plan then was for me to be on surveillance for 3 months just on herceptin with a hope to then operate if no cancer returned. It was a great 3 months where I could pretty much eat normally and felt human again. Sadly after the 3 months we found out the cancer had returned everywhere and spread more in the lymthnodes.

Not long after I got a chest infection and ended up in hospital. The cancer in my lymthnodes is annoyingly stopping my chest from getting rid of all of the phlegm. I ended up in hospital for 3 weeks fighting the infection and restarting a different type of chemo which has been the most brutal month of my life and one I didn't think I would live through at times.

The positive is I'm now home. I'm on day 2 after my 2nd cycle on the new regime and I feel so much better than I did at this part of the last cycle. Life is more complicated I'm on oxygen now all the time, but I'm getting stronger day by day. Apologies I haven't been as active on here the last month hit me hard and I didn't feel like sharing after doing so well at first. However, one thing I will say is keep your head up and keep fighting your individual battles it's not an easy journey, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel if you fight.

• Vinny, I hope things are better now for you. I need to see that things can improve again and you can do it. After 5 cycles and an endoscopy my  cancer is back and affecting eating ability. I’m scheduled to start a new chemo and immunotherapy next week after a PET scan. The 4th cycle scan showed so much improvement. Have no idea what happened so fast. 

• Hi Vinny, how are you? I hope you are well. Your story of beating stage 4 has been so inspiring. I know I speak for all in the community when I say that I hope you are doing much, much better than when you posted last month.