OC cancer spread to liver

• 51 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi Vonn/Amanda,

We met with the consultant yesterday and after reviewing all the scans we were told the cancer has spread to the liver.

They won't be able to operate now, we meet with the oncologist next to discuss treatment plan.

Tony is a fighter and will never give up.

I am utterly devastated but trying to stay strong.

Angie

• Hi,

My husband had an endoscopy on the 29th December tumour found in the middle of the oesophagus, next was CT scan which showed lesions in the liver, then he had a MRI with liver contrast we were told the lesions were cysts and nothing to worry about so came away from that appointment quite relieved, then had PET scan which showed hot spot in the liver again, scans were reviewed for a second opinion and confirmed spread in liver it is only small at the moment and was missed on MRI. 

We were told yesterday so no operation now just chemotherapy, it has been one hell of a roller coaster since December.

My husband is 56 has never smoked, only drinks occasionally, he was pretty healthy until he started with problems eating. He has lost about 3 stone since the beginning of December and the upper back pain he suffers is horrendous they have just upped his morphine for this now.

My husband has had to cut his work hours down due to the back pain and gets exhausted by it all.

We meet with the oncologist next for treatment plan, not looking forward to that I would rather not know prognosis and just take each step as it comes.

It's unbelievable how your life can be turned upside down within the matter of months.

How are you both coping with everything? 

I have read some positive stories on here regarding chemo and immunotherapy, we have to never give up and hard as it is stay strong.

Angie xx

• Hi Angie

I am sorry to read that the OC has spread to Tony's Liver, this meaning that the OP is no longer possible, I truly know how that news makes someone feel, but I hope that Tony gets the best possible treatment for him.  

Dal was diagnosed with Liver and Lung Mets, and given quite a poor prognosis, but with the right treatment, he has managed to get by extremely well for the past 3 &3/4 years.  

The thing that is difficult is providing any real advise until Tony and yourself have met with the Oncologist and discuss the treatment plan. It is often the case that different areas and hospitals provide different treatment types for the same condition... I have been absent from this site for a little while as there has been some movement in Dal's tumours, so there have been many appointments, and this is the first post that I have read on my return.  

What type of OC Tumour does Tony have, do you know? 

How is Tony's eating at the moment? 

I hope the oncologists meets with you soon, and the correct treatment established, the research into this type of cancer has been moving really fast over the past few years and there are a lot more positives than there are negatives, I hope you can hold on to the positives. 

Good Luck

Lowe

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi Lowe,

I had read Dal's blog weeks ago and it had already given me so much hope in these dark times.

Tony has an adenocarcinoma tumour.

He is eating a lot better now he is on soft foods and his weight has stabilised the last week or so.

Dal has done so well with his treatment and gives great hope to everybody with OC.

Yes I hold on to the positives its just hard some times, but Tony is a fighter and will never give up.

Good luck 

Angie 

• Hi Angie, 

I am glad that Tony is eating better, Dal was advised to keep away from the feeding tube, but I think that is only good advice as long as food is being managed. 

The Adenocarcinoma is the most common tumour, and the one they are doing the greater research on I think, Dal has been on immunotherapy for a long time, but this has now stopped working, so we are looking to get on a trial for other treatment, this is a positive, it shows in the work, the potential years this treatment is giving to people.. But you are right, sometimes it is hard to stay positive, but we have choices and as hard as it is to choose to be positive sometimes, is the only way forwards until there are no more positives left.

I really do wish you both the very best

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Hi Angie

Good to hear that Tony is eating better and the weight has stabilised. I was the same , had lost 3 stone but it has finally stopped and I'm eating better too.

It is hard to stay positive sometimes but like you say Tony is a fighter so I hope it continues to go ok.

Best wishes

Dean

• Take heart. My cancer had spread to my liver, lung and lymph nodes in my neck. After 4 chemotherapy sessions it confirmed that I was clear of cancer in these areas and the tumour had shrunk. I was also informed surgery was not an option. Chemotherapy can work

• That is so good to hear. I know chemo can do wonders. 

How are you coping with treatment?

Angie

• Yes all good, I have had few side effects apart from the first week. Not been able to have cold drinks for 1 week after chemo is annoying though. I have had 8 sessions of chemo so I am now just on chemo tablets. 

• Glad you are doing so well, lovely to hear positive stories.

Will you just carry on with treatment continuous now.

And can I ask where is your main tumour?

• As you are probably aware you can only have 8 courses of intravenous chemo. I have had that so my doctor wants me to carry on with the chemo tablets. I will have scans every 3 months to check if the cancer grows back. If it does I will go on to immunotherapy and probably a trial drug. My tumour is at the bottom of my oesophagus and had curled round In to the tummy. It has reduced a lot in size and shows up on the ct scan as only a minor thickening. I cannot have surgery to remove the tumor because the cancer showed up in 3 different places in my liver.

Please feel free to ask any more questions