Last Flot tomorrow, CT scan on the 1st Feb

• 397 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello 

I have my last FLOT tomorrow, 4 in all, I have also have 2 rounds of Carbo and Etoposide. I have my CT scan on the 1st Feb as they plan is to operate so I have fingers and toes crossed they I will still be on this pathway.

The Flot has been tough as people say, the Oxy-legs were terrible!! the two week turn around has given me about 3 days of normality. I would like to thank those that offered side effect advice as it really helped me to be proactive with the Meds.

The change for me is  from Oct to early December I was not able to eat food, shakes only. I am now eating normally, I have attempted spicy food, like a curry Heart eyes. I find I need to eat more often or I get like an empty discomfort, not sure what that's about?  My sternum feels sore sometimes also? fingers crossed these are gastral related to the growth but I guess it must of shrunk as I can eat.Grinning

I am so looking forward to some weeks without Chemo but also apprehensive, it will be back to that waiting place, and this is it, which pathway? I wish I had not been told IT was high grade, this bit really sticks in my head!!Fingers crossed

What lovely blue skies I have in the south at the moment, beautiful Sunny

• Hey   and  

Hope you’re both doing as well as you can Blush Nice to see you are done or nearly done with this first part of treatment.

Just had my 4th and last cycle over yesterday and today. Cycle 3 definitely was tough for me too. The cumulative effect of a few cycles just had me shattered too.

I have CT scan booked for 6th of Feb and guess what they removed my PICC line today which is awesome. A bit emotional to be honest!

Positive thoughts and best wishes to you both while recovering Heart️‍

Good luck with your CT scans. I’ve been told I will have a briefing session about the surgery to talk through what to expect pre and post. May be worth checking if your general surgery CNS team are organising something too.

• Good luck with your Cycle 4. Hope it’s no worse than Cycle 3. Did you find that your tastebuds didn’t recover as much after Cycle 3 as they had after previous cycles? My mouth just feels so dry all the time and my tastebuds are still a long way from being back to normal. 

• Hi Hollywood, that is brilliant news that they have taken out your PIC, scan and Dr booked also. I still have mine until the results of the scan. CT the 1/2, Apt with the surgeon on the 9th after the MDT meeting. 
    Hope you recover well after your 4th, sending Heartpulse vibes.  I am finding it tough, have to lay down even after a shower Joy  

take care and keep in touch, looks like we are all scanning and having meetings around the same time. 

• Taste buds, apatite gone, I can only drink water! anything else and the nausea kicks in. I have found it returns to some normality a couple of days before the next cycle and the dryness goes to. Hopefully it will for you.too. 

• I suffered too. Taste was awful and not really been the same. Had oral thrush too so had to have drops and tablets to clear that. Mouthwash too. As if I haven’t got enough meds already Joy Hope things get better soon Thumbsup tone2

• Hi JenJen6 & Hollywood

Do you mind if I ask what form of surgery you’re due to have? I’ve been told by my surgeon that (provided my next scan is favourable) he intends to remove the lower half of my oesophagus and the top third of my stomach. I don’t know if this is fairly typical? but I’m hoping that retaining part of my stomach might reduce some of the post-surgery problems that I might experience if I had to have it all removed. 

• No worries at all Blush All being well with the scan, I’m planned for the same procedure with similar extraction of the tumour and part of the upper stomach. As the tumour is quite low in my case they said around the upper 3rd of the stomach removed would be typical too.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/oesophagectomy

My General Surgery CNS gave me a book from MacMillan which is the same as the link above.

I agree surely the more you keep of your stomach the better. Will have to draw up some questions for the planned pre op briefing.

• Hi Hollywood, I ordered myself that booklet too from the MacMillan site. Good to have some idea of what to expect. Haven’t spent a night in hospital since I got my appendix out aged 12 so I think I’ll find that quite tough on top of the surgery…

• Good morning, my reply would be the same as Hollywoods. I am also assuming the surgeon will not be a 100% sure until the surgery itself, I have seen a lot of talk about clear margins, to give the best chance. My scan is today and if favourable I will have this Op. Ivor Lewis esphagectomy.  There is a chap on here Geo ? something that has a great blog. 

On another note have either of you lost hair, most of my head hair thinned and fell out so I shaved to a grade 1. But I have lost all other body hair including nasal hair. The only hair I am happy losing is my chin stubble JoyJoy
    I am now 2 weeks after my last Chemo and more or less all side effects gone and feeling more energetic, although back to that nervous waiting stage I am looking forward to this no Chemo period, the whole of Feb  

Hope your both doing ok SparklesSunflower

• Just thought I'd respond so you could see my handle and through clicking that could read about my OC journey.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Geo.