Recent Diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi,

My father is currently 66 years old and 6 weeks ago, as a family, we found out he has Oesophageal cancer.

Since the endoscopy it has felt like an eternity with our whole world being turned upside down. The initial scan revealed a 10cm tumour where further tests were required to understand whether the cancer had spread anywhere else. There were concerns surrounding his lymph nodes but doctors needed to investigate further. Since the initial scan we have waited 2 weeks to conduct the PET scan, which took place on Tuesday. Again, we need to wait another week before we know whether the cancer has spread and what the next steps could be.

My father has since stopped eating and has had to be hospitalised twice due to dehydration and low sugar levels. He is back at home now taking in minimal calories and finding it difficult to speak. He is completely bedbound and the waiting is making things worse. I am so scared that even if we can start treatment he wont be well enough to go through it as he is already incredibly weak. Is this something I should be worrying about? He is eating so little at the moment I'm worried he isn't going to make it to the first round of treatment if it is too much longer. Has anyone else experienced this and what happened?

I also am scared about his mental health at this point. He seems very defeated already and I dread to think what he is going through knowing the 2 different scenarios we're currently faced with, neither being easy. I do not live locally and am torn between going to stay with my parents and leaving them to have some time together. I don't know if I make him sad going back as I get very upset when I first see him and when I have to say goodbye. Trying to navigate this without knowing what we're facing and without a plan for so long is torture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as at the minute I really cannot focus on anything else.

• Hi Sah 91 I am so sorry to hear about your Dad and what you and your mom are going through. I hope your Dad finds the strength to fight this horrible disease.
     I was in the same situation as you two and half years ago, my husband was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. The panic I felt then is hard to describe.The word cancer frightened me and I thought the worst was coming then. But my husband is still with me he was first diagnosed in October 2018 and thought it has certainly not being easy there was months he had to be peg feed and months when I had to purée his food. He also had to have throat dilations to help him swallow. But he also had months when he was almost back to normal and enjoyed life. Unfortunately the cancer has now spread to his lymph nodes. He is going to have more chemotherapy.

Everyone that has cancer has a different story .I just wanted you to know that the advance in cancer treatments is increasing all the time.

When my husband didn’t feel like eating I used to make nutrition soups easy to swallow for him.  We tried nutrition drinks but he didn’t like them. The hospital dietitian advised given him high energy foods full fat cream custards to keep energy up. 

Wishing you and your Dad strength and hope x

• Hi there , I can fully understand the worry and anxiety you are all feeling as it is a very scary time and we all deal with it differently. It isn’t easy to eat and I also ate very little but if he can drink milkshakes and icecream and soups etc then at least he will have some calories. I lived on milkshakes with ice cream before surgery , the low mood is adjusting to the news as it is such a shock but it’s important to stay as positive as possible , the surgeons do such an amazing job and this can be beaten , good luck with everything xx

• Hello SAH91

I am sorry for not seeing your post earlier, are you ok? How is Dad doing?

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!