Palliative care offered only

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all,

I  am writng just to find reassurance about what happened with my mum and hope I could get some advise about the standard care, I am a bit lost. 

hope anyone may have an answer to this:

My mum 76 years old who was very active and healthy, currently living in Chile deteriorated very quickly while I was visiting last Christmas 2023. Left body side weak so after an emergency visit to neurologist and imaging got discovered a brain tumour. She had a craniotomy on new years eve but tumour was partially removed. Biopsy confirmed GBM grade IV. She was transfered to be treated at a local hospital which the oncologists board decided she will have palliative care only. My dad said the oncologist didnt offered radioteraphy or chemioteraphy, he was so shocked didnt ask why. She is at home now with prescription of Keppra and dexomethasone. A palliative team visit her every month to check weight and general health.

Got second opinion on a private hospital and she got offered 10 rounds of chemio, but wasnt seen physically, just the imaging.

Does anyone know why in some ocassions cancer treatment is not offered? I am terrified to think she was left down by the system because of her age. She is currently at home, physio treatment organised independently from hospital. Her mind is not the same as before, generally well, can eat and go to toilet by herself.

I live abroad so I cant be present at meetings. Any advise or clarification will help my anxiety

Thank you!

• Hi NRV,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I looked after my wife who had a GBM. She did have radio and chemo after surgery but that was her in the UK and she was 47 and that may be a factor here.

Not knowing what the standard protocol in Chile is it's really hard to know the rationale behind these decisions. As you know it's usually debulking then radio and chemo here. I do know from reading stories posted here that age can be a factor in deciding whether radio and/or chemo will be tolerated. Sometimes they offer a lower dose of radiotherapy to minimise the risk. I think for the NHS there are also cost/benefit factors that come into play (most cancer treatments being very expensive) but I don't know what the healthcare system in Chile is like so may not be as relevant if they have a private insurance model.

Is there any way your Dad can get back in touch with the oncologist to ask what the reasons behind the decision were?

It must be so hard for you being such a long way from them.

Sending a hug,

Chris

Community Champion Badge