secondary cancers

• 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

I have a melanoma that was treated in October last year with Proton Beam radiation. Due to the melanoma proximity to the central core it was recommended not to have a biopsy.  I find out in March if the treatment was successful. I have had a recent liver scan and that was clear.  I have read that the median average time for a secondary cancer to occur is 2 years from diagnosis..

The issue is that I was diagnosed at St Pauls with a freckle on the back of my eye in 2018. I was subsequently checked after 12 months and had the all clear. Then Covid happened and I had no annual appointment come through. Then  the hospital lost my records and so when I rang up they could not help. I finally, last year, mentioned to my optician what had happened and they then referred me to my local hospital who refereed me to St Pauls. When I got to St Pauls I jumped up and down until  they finally found my records and then  said it had developed into a cancer. 

I could  have been diagnosed earlier that it was, so more time may have elapsed for a potential secondary to occur than it looks, who knows. Just adds to the general stress levels. I guess I am another victim of the covid pandemic.

• Hi  

It sounds like you've been through a difficult few years and I can understand your frustration and worry.

I haven't had this type of cancer but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Wishing you all the best 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"