Cll and travel insurance

• 6 replies
  • 14 subscribers

H i ,just been diagnosed  and on watch only. However my travel insurance does not now cover me. Anyone know of a Company that does. I will also be over 70 soon. Many thanks.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I don’t have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

A holiday sounds amazing but as you see getting affordable Travel Insurance can be a challenge and at times the price quoted could be higher than the cost of the holiday and some people do find that no Insurance is being offered.

I had to be 2 years in remission from my type of blood cancer before I could get any price but these decisions are often all down to cancer types, treatment, prognosis and the resulting risk factor put on by the insurers risk assessment - I am very open to serious infections due to a reduced immune system so this is seen as a high risk factor for insurers.

Comparison sites tend to use the same algorithms so getting a clear price can be difficult and it’s not that unusual to be turned down or told to call the insurers. 

It is actually more effective to call a few insurers directly as this means that you have answered all the questions correctly and in doing this a suitable policy can be offered and price given.

Full disclosure is always advisable as in the event of you developing any issues this can reduce the risk of an insurance companies wriggling out from paying out.

I am not allowed to recommend any companies but do have a look through the Recommended Travel Insurance 2023 in our Travel insurance group as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are.

You can also look through all the individual members of posts in the group as well.

I do hope you can get cover.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for your most helpful response

• There is no one size fits all when it comes to Insurance Companies..... Active Monitoring (Watch and Wait)  is seen as treatment in some people's eyes including Consultants and some Travel Insurance Companies........ give one of the well known ones a phone and see where it takes you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• I'm 71, on W&W.  World First were my best option for Europe.   They refer you to a medical underwriters who looks at your results.   They charged £350 for a cruise.   I asked them for a quote for  17 days in Canada though, so I went with Staysure for £524. If you quote BCUK you get a discount 

• £350 for a cruse is actually ok…… I am coming up to 8 years post my last treatment still incurable but after 5 years post treatment Insurance s Company’s say you are cured!!!!! but I have a few other health conditions so the best quote I could get for a cruise was £460.

Canada sounds amazing, it’s still on our to do list as my wife’s ancestry is the Isle of Barra….. the family were shipped out to Nova Scotia during the clearances then her grandad arrived in the North East on Scotland on the whalers and stayed…… mind you we live in Inverness and have yet to go to Barra Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• World First wanted £1000 for Canada