T-Cell Pro Lymphocytic leukaemia

• 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi, I joined this community early December. At the time we thought my other half had CLL. Unfortunately, we received the devastating news yesterday that he has T-Cell-Pro-Lymphocytic-Leukaemia. Apparently, this type of leukaemia is aggressive and rare. Fortunately, or not it was detected during a random blood test for something else. My partner is a healthy 72 year old. He is to undergo antibody chemo for 3 months to try and put him into remission. The chemo is Alemtuzumab (campath)! However, we have been told this cancer usually comes back within a year, or less. The only curative is Stem Cell Transplant. We are told because of his age SCT, has a 30% chance of being successful. 
Has anyone else undergone successful Stem Cell Transplant, and experienced this type of leukaemia? 

• Hi again  and I am sorry to hear the developments in your partners diagnosis.

You can search the site by using the search tool Mag near the top and put in T-Cell-Pro-Lymphocytic-Leukaemia and see if you get any hits……. but it is rare.

You may also want join and post in our general Leukaemia group and see if you pick up any members with experience being on the same drug Alemtuzumab (campath)….. this drug is widely used.

When it comes to Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) you go into a very different treatment world. I have had two Allo (Donor) SCTs (hit my community name to see my story) as this was the only way to give my any longer term remission. When you hear percentages talked about it can be scary.

Without a successful SCT I had 0% chance of surviving more than a few years…… my second SCT is as Oct 2015 and I am doing great. 72 is at the high range for going through SCT but being physically healthy is a very important part requirement for this to be possible.

We actually do have a dedicated Stem cell transplant group where folks from different types of blood cancers walk the SCT journey together meet up.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, I have posted onto the leukaemia site. Glad your stem cell was successful. You are an inspiration, and have certainly been through the wringer.