Recently diagnosed saying hi

• 3 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi everyone!

I got recently diagnosed with CML, and I am a 50 year old woman.

I do not live in UK and I hope it is ok with you (there are no similar communities where I live).

My journey is about to start in a few days with Nilotinib. I do not think diagnosis and whatever entails CML has sunk in me yet, and I am trying to find a way around things...

I have been through many scientific papers on treatment, quality of life etc., and despite my scientific background, I cannot say that it has me helped a lot (sometimes quite the opposite).

The reason I joined your community is to be able to share my thoughts and my interest to hear any thoughts, feedback, concerns based on your experiences. Also, my consultant is not very communicative, so any suggestions/recommendations etc. on anything, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time, and it is a great pleasure meeting you. Demo Slight smile

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to read about your CML diagnosis, I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well.

CML is on the rare side, but let’s look for any group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘CML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

Where do you stay Demo?...... obviously this is manly a UK based cancer support charity but we always welcome folks around the world...... although it is important to remember that our health system...... mainly all through our National Health Service (NHS) may well be different from how your care is provided.

Nilotinib is used widely in the UK so lets see if any of the members can give you their first hand experiences. You can also put Nilotinib into the search tool Mag near the top and select 'anywhere' and this will bring up older posts and as always you can hit reply to see if the member is still using the site. 

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to get in touch with our Support Line and from outside of the UK you can contact us 7 days a week 8am-8pm (UK time) on +44 207 0912230  email or live webchat

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Mike, it is a pleasure to meet you and thank you for your quite explanatory reply. I also read your history, which is more than interesting and all I can say is what a journey!!!!

I live in Malta, which follows a similar system to that of NHS, but does not have a similar support.... Your comments have been very helpful, and it matters a lot to know that there is someone who can help, even just chatting. 

So, I will follow your tips and I would like to thank you for guiding me through the forum. I would also like sometime to learn a bit more about your condition (both on the medical and the patient side).

Thank you again Blush

Des

• Good you found my post helpful Des….. my journey is just one of many many others who do what is needed to be done to get through treatments and live.

Living with a blood cancer like CML can be a lonely journey but the advantages of this Community is it can connect people not only across the UK but further afield including yourself in Malta.

Do look through the posts in this group and you can connect with the members as there is a great benefit in peer to peer support.

I am always around to chat and support.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge