Getting the drug Nilotonib

• 3 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Good day. My name is Yurii, I'm from Ukraine.

I was diagnosed with CML in 2016. I started taking imatinib, unfortunately in 2020, there was no response to this drug, blasts appeared. I started taking nilotinib, my condition improved.

Please tell us how patients are treated in England.

How much does the treatment cost, is the drug given for free, or do you need to buy it?

Thank you and be healthy

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups. 

I don’t have CML  but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do understand the challenges of the journey well but not specifically the treatment of CML.

First my whole hatred support to you and your fellow Ukrainians Broken heart

If you put nilotinib into the search Mag tool near the top, select ‘everywhere’ you can see the few older posts that others have put up and as always you can hit ‘reply’ to see if the members are still active on the site.

In the UK all our treatments including drugs (where approved for use) are free as we all pay into our National Health Service through our Tax.

Lets see if anyone is looking in to the group.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the answer. Is a bone marrow transplant also free?

• Bone Marrow Transplants (BMT) are indeed free…… although BMTs are seldom done now as this has been replaced with Stem Cell Transplant (This does the exact same thing but a little simpler)…… I have had two Allogenic (Donor) Stem Cell Transplants (June 2014 then in Oct 2015) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge