Cervical cancer

• 21 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Recently been diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer at this moment have declined treatment, how fast does it spread been told its aggressive and how long am I likely to remain well for 

Heads in a bubble the drs and nurses use all these long words and it's to much ro take in 

• Hello Candy and welcome to the group

Always sorry to hear of someone new being diagnosed with this disease, but I wondered if you were prepared to say why you have declined treatment? It’s a very personal decision of course, and a huge one to make, but Is it because of fear or the treatment itself? It can be very effective.

We can help you here with explaining what will happen with treatment, and how it works if that would help, and make it more understandable.

Unfortunately if you have an aggressive form of this cancer it can spread rapidly and make you very unwell quickly. And it can come to a point where there is no option but palliative care to manage symptoms and pain. Without any treatment, there will unfortunately only be one result, but even with stage 3 cancer your doctors will be looking to cure you with appropriate treatment. 

This cancer can spread to other organs in the body which is classed as incurable, so it’s a really big decision not to try and treat it. It won’t just go away,  and I’m so sorry to say that I don’t know anyone in my years of dealing with this who has survived very long at this stage with no treatment, or only using natural treatments. 

I’m not judging you for declining treatment, but I would really hope that this group can help you and maybe show you that it can give you a good chance to survive. Please stick with us and ask any questions you need to. We can help support you. You will be in shock right now with your diagnosis, and this takes time to process. What treatment plan has been suggested for you?

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for replying to my post 

They have suggested radiotherapy and chemotherapy 

I am absolutely petrified, I have you children I need to be there for them 

I have seen so many people have chemo and radiotherapy and operations be really really ill and most haven't been successful 

I honestly don't want to spend the rest of my days been ill and sick off treatment 

Sorry if I sound negative, have t stopped crying for days just wish someone would take it all away 

• Ok…let me try and pick this apart a little for you if I can. A HUGE number of women are treated VERY successfully with chemo and radiation, so I’m not not sure where you are reading that most are really ill and it hasn’t been successful. This is absolutely not true.

chemo can make you ill, and so can radiotherapy, but they are working together to get rid of the cancer. The effects of treatment are absolutely NOTHING in comparison to the effects of a progressing cancer. I know this from my own experience.

You say you have children, and you need to be there for them-the only way this can happen is if you have treatment. If you don’t, you will have no chance to survive, I’m sorry to say. 

Surgery will not be a option for you at stage 3, as it’s too risky, so that is why the plan will be chemo and radiotherapy. These are intense treatments, but surely it would be better to have intense treatment and survive? 

I really hope that some other ladies will come and tell you of their experiences of treatment. Several ladies in the group have or have had stage 3 cancer. Radiotherapy made me tired, and I had diarrhoea and cystitis, which are the common side effects. These cleared up very soon after treatment ended. It was completely worth it to suffer for a few weeks because my initial treatment was successful in getting rid of my cancer

Some ladies don’t have very much in the way of side effects, and some don’t have any-we are all different. You don’t spend the rest of your days being sick from treatment-some ladies even continue working. But having no treatment will mean you could be very sick, very weak and in a great deal of pain very quickly.  I don’t want to frighten you, but I know more ladies who survive this cancer than have died from it and I’ve probably spoken to hundreds in the last few years. 

You’re scared, and I completely get that- we all are when we find out we have cancer. But if you want to be here for your children, please reconsider your decision. So many of us have been through chemo and radiation in this group and come out the other side to live good lives. We can help you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

•  

Ladies, you all have recent experience of chemo and radiation. Are you able to help give  some support and advice please? 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Oh Candy I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but believe me the treatment that you're being offered is realy not that bad and will only last about 6 weeks. It's very do-able. I had 28 rounds of radiotherapy (1 per day. Mon-fri) and 6 weekly chemo then 3 brachytherapy. I finished my treatment on 31st March this year. The chemo is a breeze, they give you so many other drugs in your drip to counteract any sickness and you're sent home with anti-sickness pills and steroids. If you're having cisplatin then you get to keep your hair(bonus) . The radiotherapy can give you the runs but again they will give you something to help. I really hope you take the treatment as it will give you the best chance to beat this! We have all had doubts on here and times when we wanted to give it up but you will find you have inner strength to manage it all. I promise, it's worth it! YOUR worth it! 

Angela xx

• Hi Candy 

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please don't refuse the treatment you need to give yourself the best shot in getting rid of this awful thing. I know it's scary and I too initially wanted to refuse the treatment I was so scared hearing about the side effects and the consequences. I was diagnosed with 2b and I've just finished treatment I'm so glad I did. It's not easy but I promise you can do this. Out of all the side effects I was petrified about I ended up having a not nice taste in mouth and a little stinging when I wee after about the 4th week. I appreciate were all different but it's not as bad as you probably think it will be. I've met woman who are stage 3 and they're doing brilliantly. My tumour had shrunk by more than half after 4 weeks which is great. 

• Hey LJ 

I was actually thinking about you when I read this post! I remember how terrified you were! And look at you now! You're 100% right tho, the treatment,while not too pleasant at times, is never as bad as your mind makes it seem and it's much easier when it's all going on and you have your treatment plan. Candy I pray you take your treatment and we will all be here to support you, while the medical people can tell you what's likely to happen, we can relay exactly how you feel coz we've all "been there, done it" . Don't give up xx

• I remember too Angela! And now LJ is done with the treatment and coped amazingly well, as did you. I never didn’t want treatment, but sometimes found it hard to summon the strength to go to the hospital. But you get the strength from somewhere.

I wasn’t expect to survive without my surgery, so really had to get my big girl pants on for that. But here I am, it’s my 60th birthday today and I’m sitting on a sunbed on my decking in the Maldives listening to the ocean. Life is not perfect but it’s pretty damn good. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Big Happy Birthday Sarah Tada

Hope you're having the best time! Living the dream! And still you find time to cheer us on Pray . Treatment can be tough but not impossible so onwards and upwards .

Angela xx

• Hi Candy and so sorry you are facing this.  From my experience as a Stage 3C1 you have nothing to fear from the treatment.  It really is so do-able and although at first it seems like it is going to take forever, it really passes very quickly.  My side effects were diarrohea and loss of appetite for some of my favourite foods.  That all soon passes when you come out of the other side of treatment.  These days the treatment is usually very successful and please, it really is nothing to be afraid of.  You will be very well looked after by an amazing and caring team during your treatment.  Please do go ahead with it as even if you suffer from any of the side effects, they will tweak your medication to something that will be right for you.  Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  Good luck and sending strength xxx