The Beginning of my journey

• 154 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hello to all you brave ladies.

I am new here today and I was diagnosed with a tumour on my cervix last week and had biopsies taken and am awaiting the results.  Apparently the tumour is clearly visible with hugely abnormal cells so expecting the worst.  I have been lurking around the forum for the last few weeks and I am totally inspired and in awe of all you very brave ladies.  You have been tremendously helpful to me and I would just like you all to know that.  I will keep you updated when I know more.  Thank you all xxx

• Hello Snobird and welcome to the group. Waiting for results is a truly awful time of not knowing, and things do start to feel better when you know what you are dealing with and a treatment plan is in place. It feels like getting a bit of control back. 

I also had a clearly visible tumour at diagnosis...my gp could obviously see it and sent me straight to gynaecology but she didn’t frighten me with anything at that point, thank goodness! 

i hope you don’t have long to wait now for your biopsy results, and come back and let us know. Please ask any questions you can think of, and I’m sure based on our experience in the group we will be able to offer you some advice and friendly support. xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for replying Sarah. I went back to the hospital this morning to receive confirmation of cervical cancer diagnosis from the team. They are going to send me for an MRI next to see how far it has spread. I know from reading posts on the forums that this is standard procedure. The team were great and made me feel so at ease. I can't praise them highly enough. It is people like you who make this all so much easier to bear. I will update regularly. Sending hugs and strength to you xxx

• Hi Snobird-all virtual hugs are very greatfully received-thank you. Yes, the mri scan is standard procedure to give the size and exact location of the tumour, and usually a ct scan is done also to check for any spread. The mri scan is very noisy-lots of thumping sensations but at least your whole body is not in the scanner. The ct scan is shorter and for me was much easier to cope with. I found everyone in the team treating me to be lovely, and very caring and reassuring so I’m glad you’ve found yours to be the same. It really helps in this scary process. xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thanks Sarah for giving me some insight into what to expect.  Never had an MRI before!  Your help and advice is very welcome.  Onwards and upwards!! xx

• Hello lovely, 

I’m new to the group and found out on Tuesday I have cervical cancer too. I really hope the Mri goes well. I’m currently waiting on dates for a mri and pet scan.

Sending you big hugs x x 

• Hi Slips and welcome!

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  We seem to be at around the same stage although I do have my MRI on Sunday.  Dreading the results.  All the lovely ladies on here are such an inspiration and will provide you with guidance and advice.  I think waiting for the scan results is the hardest part but like the ladies say, you then get a treatment plan put in place and that makes you feel so much better.   I;m pretty new to all this but If there's anything I can help you with please just ask.  Sending strength and hugs xxx 

• Thank you lovely and sorry also to you about your diagnoses. Yes I think are are at the same stage, I have my Mri Tuesday they called me today, unsure on pet scan date yet.
    I’m dreading the results as well honey they may have to kick me back into the room they diagnosed me in :).
    I had the loop excision biopsy Tuesday as well, I’m unsure if this is standard ?  it’s all pretty scary isn’t it and I’m literally just going with whatever they ask me to do at this stage. 

like you I’m new too this too, it’s grate comfort to have you all here to talk too. 

Good luck for Sunday I will be thinking of you and I’m sending you big hugs and positive vibes. Please let us know how you get on x x 

• Hi again Slips

Yep, it's all pretty scary stuff.  A Pet scan hasn't been mentioned to me yet but it seems most people have them.  I don't know what the loop excision biopsy is but I had an internal ultrasound and then an internal where they saw the tumour and took biopsies.  And yes, like you I am doing whatever they say at this stage.  My biggest problem at the moment is getting up in the night to wee as I'm still working.  Thank you for your thoughts and support.  It is so good that we all have each other here.  It helps so much.  I will keep you posted and good luck with your scans.  I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.  I have my Covid booster on Tuesday as well to top it all off!  Keep strong and positive and we'll get through this.  Hugs to you xxx

• Morning lovely, hope you are ok :).

Yes definitely scary, thank you I will be thinking of you with your Mri. I will keep you updated lovely, I’ve heard the pet scan is quite  common but I just don’t know.
    Have they removed the tumour lovely or just biopsy’s? Your so brave remember that and keep smiling even tho I know that can be hard. 
    The loop excision was fine honey they removed a bigger biopsy but haven’t got the results back yet, have to wait for my scans first then seeing consultant which like you I’m dreading. 
    Oh gosh that’s the worst having to wee in the night time isn’t it. 
    I agree it’s so lovely that we all have each other it really does help and I’m very grateful. 

i had my booster and felt fine so fingers crossed Fingers crossed you will too :) x

Big hugs right back xx

• Hi Snobird

Don't worry about not having a pet scan. They are not quite routine, and I didn’t have one at your stage in the process-I had an mri and ct scan which is the usual process. They want to avoid unnecessary radiation exposure, so try to limit that and can get the information they need from a ct and mri. xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum