TNBC - spread to brain

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

My sister got the all clear from TNBC only 2 months ago but then started getting headaches. She was sent for an MRI a few days ago and has now been told she has metastatic lesions in her brain.  They have said there is treatment but no cure. I am absolutely terrified, what does this mean? Has anyone had metastatic breast cancer in the brain and could offer some info on treatment and how well it worked ? She's only 36 and has 2 young children. I haven't eaten for a week or slept with worry that she's going to die very soon, 

any response would be appreciated 

• Hi  

I can understand why you feel terrified since being told that your sister's cancer has spread to her brain. 

I don't have any personal experience with this but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. I've done a search in the forum and found these posts which mention brain mets for you to have a look through. You can then reply to any where you think they might be able to answer any questions you might have around treatment, etc.

It would be great if you could put something about your sister's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Suzie1510

I am really sorry to hear about your sister. It must be really hard to find out that her cancer has spread after getting the all clear only a couple of months ago. 

It is understandable that you are feeling as you do and that you want to know what is ahead. Understandably you are worried about her and her young children.

When they talk about there being no cure but treatment what they are meaning is that although ultimately they can not usually aim for a cure- they will be looking at treatments that may help get her into a remission, control the cancer as long as possible and to treat any symptoms that she may be having. 

I will pop a couple of links below which will explain the treatments that she may be offered and what her options are. 

Understanding secondary breast cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Secondary breast cancer booklet | Macmillan Cancer Support

It is also important that you have support yourself as having a family member go through cancer and cancer treatment is really tough. I am sorry that you are having trouble sleeping and eating. I would recommend giving the Support Line a call and chatting things through. They can also have a look and see if there is any support in your local area, for both you and also your sister. There may be a Maggie's centre that could help. The important thing is that you all have support to help navigate this. 

Maggie's | Everyone's home of cancer care (maggies.org)

You may like to have a look at our Family and Friends forum.

Family and friends of people with cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

I hope this helps a bit, but if there is anything else you need please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm