Kadcyla

• 4 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi,

I've just got results of latest CT scan and have been told by Oncologist due to progression I will now be moving from Phesgo to Kadcyla.

Absolutely gutted Phesgo hasn't held it longer.

Does anyone know whether Kadcyla is given through a cannula or do you have to have a Picc/portacath? 

Any advice welcome x

• Hi  

I can totally understand why you'd feel gutted when told that your current treatment is no longer working.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

When I had chemotherapy, neither of the types you're having, I was given a choice as to how it was administered. I chose to have it by cannula and my veins just about lasted for the 15 infusions I had. 

If you don't get any replies here then your BCNS should be able to help.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• How long were you on phesgo for if you don’t mind me asking ? 

• Just over 3 years. 56 cycles 

• My wife was having kadcyla for a while after phesgo stopped working and it was given by a three-weekly infusion into a vein. She had to pause due to heart problems - poor left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) which resolved over a period of a few weeks. The policy of the Trust here and maybe NHS generally is that once kadcyla is stopped it cannot be resumed so she was changed on to enhertu which is a similar treatment.

As it happens she is now off enhertu after fifteen rounds due to met progression and will be on tucatinib, trastuzumab, and capecitabine. As yet we have no idea if that will stop the progression. It's a race between the disease and the pharmaceutical developments. It makes me cross when people knock the pharmaceutical companies - many wouldn't be here without them! My wife's cancer history started in 1997 - not a bad record of therapeutic success. My Mum had BC in 1965, had a radical mastectomy, the survived nine years with no further intervention. Treatment has come a long way.