Not sure what to think

• 4 replies
  • 27 subscribers

Hiya,

my mum was diagnosed in 2020 with triple negative breast cancer. She finished treatment in April 2021, so 7 months ago.

She has recently had a chesty cough and pain when breathing in. She had an X-ray and the doctor said she suspect pleurisy and prescribed some antibiotics. She was then sent for another X-ray two days ago, to check that any infection had cleared up.

Now she is being told that there is a “dense area” on the X-ray, that is bigger than on the X-ray 4 weeks ago and is being referred urgently for investigations.

we aren’t holding out much hope to be honest, but I just wondered if anything one of anything benign that could grow within such a small time frame?

Thanks x

• Hi I am so sorry you find yourself here and that your mother and you are going through this again.  I don't know the answer to your question but I would think that it's still possible that the tumour is benign.  Benign tumours also grow and you didn't say whether the growth over the 4 weeks was small or a lot.  Even if it did grow significantly the fact they want to do further investigations would suggest that her doctor couldn't be sure if it was malignant or not suggesting to me that it could still be benign.

Unfortunately all you can do is wait and see what the further tests tell you.  

• Hi,

thanks for your reply.

We aren’t sure it’s a tumour, they’ve just said a dense area, which was originally diagnosed as infection. They are now saying “uncertain”.

What I need to ask someone is though, if it IS secondary breast cancer, could something grow in 4 weeks?? Her overall grading of her breast cancer was 2, and her ki was 37%. If this is breast cancer that’s spread, would that grow in 4 weeks?

My mum didn’t ask how much she meant been “dense area that’s grown”, because she’s terrified and doesn’t want to know.

Would a cough caused by lung cancer get better? Her cough is better than it was and today she hasn’t coughed much at all.

I haven’t slept in days, it’s awful. 

• Cancer is such an awful disease , once we or a loved one has had cancer once the fear of it coming back never quite leaves us.  I wish I knew the answer to your question and I wish I could reassure you.  To me it sounds like her doctor hasn't ruled out the possibility if it being benign and I think there is always a chance it's nothing.

Could you call your mothers doctors, with her permission, and see what they tell you as they will be the best and most reliable source of information.  Although I suspect that no matter what they say you will remain anxious until it's investigated further and the results come back.  This part of waiting for tests and results is truly agonising, I remember the feeling so well still.  I'm really sorry you are having to go through it.

• My mum is ringing the gp tomorrow to find out what hospital she has been referred to, as her bcn has asked her to find out and let her know.

I’ve also asked if she can ask the gp why she has been referred to the respiratory clinic and not for a ct scan straight away, as given my mums history, I would prefer this done asap.

As a family we are just hoping and praying it is nothing serious and we aren’t about to get devastating news just before Christmas x