Fentanyl patches

• 6 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I have been prescribed Fentanyl patches to try to manage the pain from hips and back caused by secondary breast cancer diagnosed 2 years ago. I am 65, female

Read all the complications and side effects with these patches which sound scary as I still work part time and drive.

Can anyone please help with anything I need to be aware of when I put the patch on for the first time tomorrow 

Any help much appreciated xx

• Hi, I use lidocaine patches for mets to sacrum which must be similar but perhaps less potent.

For me there was a build up of pain relief. It wasn’t instantaneous.

Fi.

• Thank you for replying. Did you have any side effects from the patches? 

Reading all the common side effects is quite scary. 

Tough battle sometimes xx

• First night on the fentanyl patches last night and had a rough night with feelings of breathlessness and irritability,  and not slept that well either.

Please can anyone tell me if these effects go away as not sure I want to stay on the patches if I dont

• Breathlessness is a serious side effect. If I were in your place I would stop using the patches and contact my team. I know it’s the weekend but I would try to use some other pain relief while waiting for a response from the clinicians.

Very best wishes,

Fi.

• Thank you Fi for good advice. Spoke to pharmacists who completely agreed with you. So patches stopped and phone call to be made to Gp Monday. 

Thank you

• Hi mounties I just wanted to pop on and add my tuppence worth in to the  mix.

Fentanyl is as I understand it  a strong Opiate painkiller and you wont know how it affects you until you put it on and the advice is  not to drive when using these as they can and do make you sleep and affect your reactions . I think a  call to the person who prescribed this and ask about the driving as you may need to inform your Insurance company.

gail

Community Champion Badge