pertuzumab,trastuzumab, docetaxel

• 41 replies
  • 32 subscribers

I had my first oncology appointment yesterday and will start on the drugs above within the next two weeks. I think it's a fairly new combo, but may have got that wrong. Is anyone else on the same combination of drugs? How bad are the side effects? What can I expect? 

• Just wondering how you are? Hope all is well and not having too many side effects x

• Thank you for asking! The fatigue was a big, fat pain but only really lasted a couple of days this time round. As you said the metallic taste thing is disgusting and probably the worst thing at the moment. Sherbet lemons are a god send. All in all it could be worse. Hope you feeling okay after the injections. x

• Glad to hear your ok - I am fine after injections- no side effects apart from swollen ankles - which I did get with chip also - but it’s manageable x

• Hi Winship and Jude3.  Hope you are both doing well.  I am just coming out of what I call my bad week after having had chemo last Monday.  I am half way now with 3 more to go but it feels a long way ahead still, it looks like I won't be having a scan until end of June now which will be after my 4th chemo.  The lump near my breast completely disappeared after my first chemo and my hip is so much better than it was so trying to stay positive.  Not sure if my hip has improved due to radiotherapy, chemo or denosumab or a combination of them all.  

I was wanting to ask Winship when you have the Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab injection whether you have to go for a blood test prior to each injection?

Take care both of you.

xx

• Glad to hear things are going well !

I don’t have a blood test before injection with trastumumab and pertuzumbab but do need to have blood test before denosumab, which I have every 6 weeks.

Take care x

• That's great, thanks for letting me know.

Take care xx

• Hi Jude 3, I hope the docetaxel rounds are finished for you?  Just wanted to say I have been on the same treatment plan since May 2015, and the only hiccup was surgery and radiation to deal with left axilla nodes after 18 months.  Since then, Dec 2017, every scan has shown NED (no evidence of disease).  I had treatment every 3 weeks, initially by IV into my hands, then had a Port fitted when the veins gave up, and finally, 6 weeks ago, I had the two drugs as SubCut injections. My last one took 18 minutes to administer and observe, and it was number 100...... minimal side effects over the years (after dastardly Docetaxel!) but ironically I am suffering with a bit of muscle fatigue in lower limbs at the moment.  Giving it another 2 subcuts to see if it's a coincidence, so may be going back to the Port.  We shall see! 

Anyway, keep at it! I just read elsewhere on here that there are some great stories of long term success... no reason why it can't be you, and me!

• Thanks Granny2B, what a positive post. I'm so pleased it's working well for you. Sadly I am only on cycle 2 of 6 of Docetaxal and the 2nd one seems to be knocking me back a little more than the 1st. The metallic taste is the worst thing, along with the heavy tiredness. It's good to hear that the ongoing subcut injections don't have too many side effects, number 100! you really are the expert. xx

• I was alright until no.4, in fact I travelled alone on train and ferry to Ireland after no.3.  Great reduction in the cancer in liver and breast by that time... I only had 75% of the Docetaxel for numbers 5 and 6.  The taste was awful.  Ginger biscuits kept me sane.

Plain sailing after... 

Look after yourself Wink

• Hi to both of you - good to hear your updates . I am doing well on the injections- no side effects at all and last ct scan showed no further change, they are referring me for physio to see if can help with my back as it is curved from the vertebrae collapsing prior to treatment starting.  This limits my mobility as it starts to ache when I stand for too long or walk too far - using a wheelchair when out and about ! But at least I can get out and have no pain .

Take care and keep going !!! X