pertuzumab,trastuzumab, docetaxel

• 41 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I had my first oncology appointment yesterday and will start on the drugs above within the next two weeks. I think it's a fairly new combo, but may have got that wrong. Is anyone else on the same combination of drugs? How bad are the side effects? What can I expect? 

• Hi 

I don't have any experience with pertuzumab, trastuzumab and docetaxel but noticed that no one had replies to your post yet. 

I've had a look for previous posters who had mentioned this combination and found that  has posted about taking this recently. I've tagged them into my reply to you in the hope that they will pop on and tell you about their experience.

It would be great if you could update your journey so far in your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi there I have been on this combination- 6 rounds of docatexel which I finished a week ago

The side effects weren’t too bad in first few rounds - but round 5 hit me and I ended up in hospital for a week - low calcium and my electrolytes all over the place . My oncologist reduced final dose of docatexel to 80 percent and that has helped

Main side effects are fatigue , diarrhoea, lack of appetite for some of the time - but everyone is different so don’t be scared !

I am continuing with the other 2 drugs as 1 injection for as long as it is working - so think side effects will be less - it’s the docatexel that hits !

Having said that it seems to be a good combination as my cancer markers from January to March fell from 698 to 26 !!!! And that was just after 3 treatments!

Best of luck and look forward to hearing from you x

• Thank you for replying. My oncologist said it's a fairly new combination. I, like you, will be having the other two by injection every three weeks. They seem very positive about the treatment so I have to be brave about any side effects!

Your results seem amazing, 698 to 26!!! I'm so pleased for you and hopeful for me. 

Keep in touch x

• You will be fine ! Think positive thoughts and take each day as it comes 

I will be thinking of you and it will be lovely to be in touch with someone on the same treatment x

• Hi Jude3

I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in February of this year spread to my bones, I originally had breast cancer in 2015 and had docetaxel and herceptin at that time.  I thought I had finished with cancer but I now find myself going through the same treatment.  I had my 2nd Docetaxel a week ago and I am also having Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab along with Denosumab for my bones.  Having lots of different drugs its hard to know what drug is causing what side effect.  Previously 6 years ago it was the nausea that was my main problem, this time its the chemo mouth which is stopping me from wanting to eat and drink, this doesn't last though and there are things that you can do to help with this.  

I have been told I will have 6 sessions of Docetaxal and the Pertuzumab and Trastuzumab I can have for as long as it is working every 3 wks, as Winship says its the docetaxal that is the worst.

I think I am still in shock with my diagnosis and am just going through the motions with treatment.  I have read a lot of positive stories on this website which has helped and its nice to know of someone else with the same treatment.

All the best x

• Hello - yes it’s good to hear of others on same treatment- I am also having the demo sumab injection every 6 weeks 

I agree it is hard to know what is causing side effects with lots of combinations- I’ll let you all know when on the 28 May I just have the pertuzumbab and trastumumab injection how I feel !

Take care both of you x

• Hello, quick update. Had my first injection and infusion today. All went well, no panic attacks and no allergic reaction, so far so good. I feel amazingly okay, although I'm sure it will catch up with me over the next few days. Winship, I hope having just the injections was better for you, let us know how you got on? x

• So pleased to hear all went well! And you are feeling well too , one tip they told me was to make sure you drink lots over next few days to flush chemo through your system.

my injection went well and I feel good too !

Onwards and upwards for both of us ! My next appointment is 18 June - yours probably th same ? I have an oncology appointment day before to get results of ct scan I had earlier this week

Take care and have a good week - remember to rest and take it easy if you need to x

Keep in touch x

• I have my 3rd docetaxal and pertuzumbab and trastumumab on Monday (nice way to spend bank holiday).  The main side effect which gets me down is the taste change, even water doesn't taste nice, this only lasts the first week but it does stop me wanting to drink and eat.  I am going to make a concerted effort to drink loads this time as you say it flushes out the chemo.  

I have been told that I will have a CT Scan after this chemo but not been given a date yet.  Hope you get some good news about your results Winship.

Take care both of you.

x

• Glad to hear from you - yes the taste of everything changed and affected my appetite- I found mints, sherbet lemons helped and also using lip salve! I tried every flavoured water going - ginger beer was quite good once fizz had gone ! Worse thing was I could not stand the taste of wine ! My favourite tipple !!! But I have had a glass of red tonight and enjoyed it - so hopefully change !

Take care and keep in touch x