Bone Mets

• 5 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi,

I was diagnosed with left  bc Dec2015 , had lumpectomy and prescribed tamoxifen and 3 wks of radiotherapy . All was good until 2018 diagnosed with bc again in right side. Repeat lumpectomy and rads , then told it had spread to pelvic bone. Has now spread to spine , hip and base of skull , changed meds again to capecitabine, only had one cycle then told platelets are low and now waiting for blood transfusion , feeling really scared .

• Morning  no wonder you’re feeling scared. One minute things were going well and suddenly you’re living with incurable but treatable cancer.

Like you my cancer spread to the bones, skull, ribs, pelvis, spine, and just 1 inoperable brain tumour. I had gamma knife surgery to the skull & brain tumour with excellent results.

That was 3 years ago. For the 1st year I almost felt like a fraud, I had literally no symptoms.

When the cancer spread to my liver I went back onto chemo to keep things stable. There have been some ups & downs, but mainly ups. The chemo eventually stopped working, the cancer spread to my lungs & the brain tumour started to grow again.

I started capecitabine in December but  didn’t  tolerate it and it didn’t work.

The cancer is now in my spinal cord & I’ve got an appointment today to see what’s next.

Sorry, waffling a bit. The point is that the treatment can keep you as well as possible for as long as possible & I’ve had a good 3 years which have included going to Venice & Bruges, a family holiday in Scotland & Kefalonia...

Once you’re on the right treatment path the cancer will take a back seat and you can save your energy for the good stuff.

Sending you love & hugs. xx

Tinalay 
    Every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.
    Amy Winehouse.
  • What a wise, beautiful post Tinalay!

• Thank you Tinalay  , yesterday I didn’t think I wanted to carry on , your wise words have helped . 

• Hi , please check out the positive secondary bc stories thread here.   Hopefully it will help you to feel better about everything.  Good luck.

noswad1
    Where there's hope, there's life!
  • Hello St1ckybun

I’m really sorry to hear your story, it sounds similar to mine in some ways. Have you had your blood transfusion yet? It’s the spreads that I find so awful and frightening. Mine has spread to my spine, pelvis, ribs and femur. I seem to have perpetual fever temps which the hospital are now investigating a syndrome where cancer fighting parts of the immune system are attacking other parts of the body. Very scary...

I know this is different to your situation, but we must all be brave and strong. The weather is changing towards a lovely springtime - it is a beautiful time of year, let’s all try to be positive.

Hugs x

Helen23