Feeling Overwhelmed

• 7 replies
  • 271 subscribers

I'm 41 year old who recently had a lumpectomy. I ggot the needle biopsy results on the 13 Sep. I was told it is a grade 2 cancer. MRI also said it is a Grade 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. I had a doctors appointment a week after the surgery and she told it is all good news because histology report shows clear margins and lymph nodes. But I was told they will do an Oncotype Dx test to confirm I dont need chemotherapy. I was sent a letter yesterday summarising the consultation and that letter says as per histology report it is Grade 3. Doctor never mentioned that during my appointment. She only mentioned about the clear margins and lymph nodes and told it is Stage 1( after I asked).

I faced the surgery with so much confidence and with a positive mindset. Before the surgery they told me I dont need chemotherapy. But now they are implying I might need chemotherapy, radio therapy and hormone therapy. This grade 2, grade 3 confusion plus changing the view about the treatment plan every time I see the doc is causing significant mental pressure on me.

• Hi Nirs Story

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer.  It not unusual for the histology of a tumour to change after surgery.  I suggest that you ring your breast care nurse just to get clarification about what grade the tumour was which will hopefully set your mind at rest.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever comes next for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much Daisy for taking time to reply to my post. I have left a message for them now. Hopefully they will have a positive response 

Thanks

• Unfortunately, it’s the pathology post op that gives a true grade Cry. But I would defo ring to check it is grade 3.

You are entitled to a copy of your pathology report x 

• Hi, 

thank you for sharing your story.

I have experienced something similar in that my original diagnosis was DCIS- grade 2 in one breast but since my MRI and surgery it became a more complicated/invasive (2 different!) cancers in both breasts.
    I am now waiting on the outcome of the oncotype test to decide next steps and the results of the genetic test as well. 
    I can see that the team can only go on what is in front of them and further tests will give them more information so the goalposts will move but it is so hard to stay positive when you’re waiting for results and life is on hold. 
    I hope your BCN can support you through this. I just wanted to let you know you’re not on your own and I really hope that things get better for you very soon xx

• Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.

I will ask for a copy of the report.

Thanks 

• Thank you for sharing your experience and reassuring that I'm not alone in this journey (although I am literally because I don't have friends/family in the UK. I only have my 3 young sons). Hope your results comes with a favourable outcome. Waiting for results is the hardest like you said. I reckon I have to train my mind to accept that there are lots of uncertainties in this journey and I shouldn't lose hope and get overly worried.

Thanks 

• Absolutely! You nailed it- the uncertainty is so hard. And I’m a planner so that just doesn’t suit me!

And sorry that you’re away from family and friends. That must be tough. 

Sending all best wishes for your treatment and recovery x