Picc line

• 5 replies
  • 268 subscribers

I am having a picc line fitted before I start chemo for breast cancer in 10 days. What are people’s experience of this as I am having second thoughts about it doing? 

• I was so stressed about the picc line, needles and cannulas etc don't bother me at all but for some reason the thought of a picc line just made me feel queasy. It was a necessary evil for me though as I can only have bloods etc taken on the left side now due to lymph nodes being removed on the right.

Insertion was fine - I didn't feel a thing. No pain and I certainly couldn't feel the line going in. I was hyperconscious of it for the first couple of days because the thought of it still creeped me out, but now I don't really remember that it's there. It was a little tender for the first couple of days but it's been fine since and hasn't affected my sleep at all. 

The best thing is how quick and easy it is for bloods and treatment etc. No more fiddling about trying to find a vein for the cannula any more! I'm really glad I went ahead with it despite massive misgivings at first.

Good luck! X

• I found it was a bit uncomfortable for a few days after insertion and I was aware of it sometimes and obviously had to be careful on washing and sleeping but I was so grateful to have it, made bloods so much easier, having chemo was easier. I saw many people not able to have a cannula inserted or bruise badly or have veins affected by treatment and each time I was grateful for my picc. This process is crap and there were many parts I didn’t relish, but for me, the picc was less crap than the alternative and it didn’t hurt. Good luck x

• Had mine fitted after my first cycle. So much easier. Never felt anything when it was inserted, and they got it in place first time. Yes a bit sore for the first 48 hours but nothing to worry about. Have to put a sleeve on when taking a shower or bath, got mine off Amazon. Really not a problem 

• I declined a picc line when it was offered and opted for a port instead. Although more invasive to put In, you don't need to go for weekly flush and can go swimming if you want to. Xx