Mastectomy

• 5 replies
  • 264 subscribers

I am having a mastectomy next Wednesday. My surgeon said I would leave with two drains in for a week. Is this normal my friend who had same op didn’t have this . He was so matter of fact and not friendly at all gave me no reassurance about the op. Any tips anyone . thank you 

• Hello,

yes drains are usually the norm, so that fluid doesn’t build up causing excess swelling and prevent healing, also they can see if you have excess bleeding or haematoma just in case. It’s actually first time I’ve heard of someone not having at least 1 drain with mastectomy or breast conserving (which mine was supposed to be, but changed to mastectomy 4 days before surgery). I was advised of drains prior to surgery too, so had a month looking into it all, and was even given 2 drain holding bags to take to hospital with me on the day of surgical discussion the month before. I was told one week, but due to drain output only 1 of the 2 drains were removed at the 1 week post consultation, the second removed a week later at a two week post op consult. 

sorry he wasn’t friendly, did your breast care nurse not chat to you about it all after? Do you have a contact number you can call to chat to a breast care nurse to answer questions and re assure you?

I understand your apprehension, I’m sure we all do here! it’s a crazy, mind blowing, whirl wind! It’s not a walk in the park, but you’ll get through it, my mastectomy was 22/4, and about to be on 5th chemo Friday. (sending hugs) 

there are lots of post op recommendations here and online to look through. The only advise that I haven’t seen and I would recommend is - while waiting around before surgery on the ward, check out all the loos on the ward, look for the one that has the loo paper on the wall on your non mastectomy side. Don’t know if it’s just that I also had all lymph nodes removed from arm and upper chest too, but due to it, all movement was not easy on that side (learned the hard way on first loo stop, couldn’t use my left side well, and trying to twist and lean over was worse!) just a little heads up! 

I wish you all the best for surgery, treatment and recovery x

• Thank you so much for your reply I am very grateful. Yes it’s all been a bit of a whirlwind on 3 weeks ago diagnosed. I am so scared . The breast nurse was nice but she is away next week . I will adjust I am sure and am pleased I don’t have to wait . I hope your journey is soon complete . Many many thanks for replying to me . 
    wish you all the best x

• Hi Rosie,

1. I am 4 weeks post op today and I can't quite believe how quickly I've healed! I also had all my lymph nodes removed too. I only had one drain in and it was removed day 4 post op as there was hardly anything coming out. Surgery was only an hour and I was back on the ward. I took a v shaped pillow with me to help me get out of bed and stay up right and it helped. Also take pyjamas that button up the front. Hope all goes well for you. J x
  • Thank you so much for replying to me. Your post gave me a bit of reassurance. I just want it over now . I hope your recovery is going well. Sending love and thanks 

• I hope you're not feeling too anxious - I know this is easier said that done! It'll be over soon and you'll be on thr road to recovery. X