Zoledronic Acid and Joint Pain

• 5 replies
  • 264 subscribers

Good morning. I had my first infusion of Zoledronic acid last Tuesday..flu like symptoms for a couple of days, manageable with paracetamol. However on day 5 I developed such severe joint pain…knees, elbows, hands, I have been virtually bed ridden . I rang the hospital yesterday but no one has got back to me yet . What are other people’s experiences? I’m reluctant to have this treatment again as it really is the worse experience. I just feel dreadful on day 7 .

thank you for your response.

• Hi CasaLavanda

Sorry to hear that you have been in so much pain after your first Zoledronic acid infusion.  I've had two infusions of Zoledronic acid and apart from have slight flu like symptoms I haven't had any further problems from it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you - getting slightly better but still a lot of pain in joints . Going to talk to MacMillan   nurse tomorrow .. thinking about cancelling treatment. 

• Hi  

I've had 4 zoledronic infusions and haven't had any side effects at all. Hopefully, your next one might be side effect free.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I have had joint pain and agree it isn't very pleasant.  So far I have had 5 infusions at 6 monthly periods.  I spoke with the help line at Guy's who said it can happen and last for up to 2 weeks.  It didn't happen for every infusion. However my last one was not pleasant. Paracetamol helped. 

I also appreciate that not everyone gets the symptoms which is frustrating.

I think talking to your care team would help.

I certainly didn't want to stop the infusions but appreciate why you might be thinking of it.  From my perspective if it prevents bone cancer it is a plus.

All the best and take care. 

ricki
  • Hello, I have finished my course of six infusions, and with each one I got something. However, the first infusion was, by far, the worst. I had very real flu symptoms (I have had proper influenza only once) but without the fever and damp sheets. I am very grateful for anything that may prevent a recurrence or worse, but equally, I can’t say that that they were unproblematic for me. My oncology pharmacist said that I could take ibuprofen before the infusion (please check with your own team). I didn’t do this admittedly, but did take it a day or two afterwards. Xx