Radiotherapy - what to expect

• 46 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi,

I have an appointment to meet a Radiologist in a couple of weeks. Could anyone tell me what happens at the first meeting?  

Thanks x

• They do a CT scan, simulation for the radio therapy with breath hold technique, get you sign some consent papers and that’s it.

• I think it depends on the hospital. My first session was a telephone conversation to go through medical history, then the process and risks and any questions. The next session I had the CT scan, was all measured up on the bed and got my 4 little black dot tattoos.

I've had 2 sessions so far and couldn't see or feel anything and most of the time is spent getting you in the right position.

I was expecting to have to hold my breath but I don't as the machine shields my heart as it moves around. It's amazing!

• Thanks Ange66

I had a CT scan many years ago for a fractured spine so I shouldn't think much has changed with that - I found the tech quite interesting at the time.

I am worried though about the tattoos - the permanency of them. I know that some people are not worried about them and I have read that they are needed for accuracy but even so I don't want them. Did the radiologist speak to you about them or was that at the planning stage?  I'm not sure why but I am meeting the Radiologist at one hospital in the Trust where I had my surgery but the rest of the radiography will be done at another hospital in the same Trust that has the scanning machines. 

I know I have to have radiotherapy to mop up any bad cells but could you tell me if the tattoos are very obvious/stand out? I have really pale skin so I think any marks will be quite obvious. If you don't mind me asking where are the 4 dots placed and how did they decide on the number? 

Thanks for anything you can tell me. x

• Hiya ,my pre-treatment was same as Ange66 .A phone call to go through things ,then a visit to the hospital for CT scan and measurements and tiny dot tattoos .I was surprised they were so tiny ,barely visible as I had seen comments where people were stressing about tattoos .I had 15 sessions ending on 9 August .Each treatment took about 20mins ,mainly getting you in position on the bed .I havnt had any problems ,not even fatigue or skin problems .I just put Averno on after a shower in the morning. I came back today from a week's family holiday and it didn't stop me going out and having a lovely time. The most annoying bit is having to go everyday to the hospital and the wait time some days was 45 mins ,which added to journey times takes up a chunk of your day .One day all 5 scanners had to be switched off from overheating which was really annoying,but they put together  a Saturday list .I had to hold my breath 30-40 seconds about 3 times ,but no need to panic if you can't do it as the machine stops if you breathe and they just continue when you can hold your breath again .Some hospitals seem to only say to hold your breath if you are having left side done .Mine was right side but they still got me to hold breath

• Such great intel! Thankyou all

i start in September 

still got quite a hard lump in my boob where lumpectomy was. And weird orange peel skin. Anyone else have this? Does it matter??

also does the initial CT scan detect and remaining (hope not!) lumps?? 

• Ah don't fret about the tattoos they are about the size of the end of a ball point pen. There's 4 in total, 2 on the outside of each breast and 2 in the center where your chest bone is. 1 is just below my bra line and the other is unfortunately in my cleavage.

I'm thinking of it as my battle scar... they need the marks to line up the machine in the right place, so I'd imagine it'll be 4 for everyone but I don't know for definate.

Hope that helps x

• Mine is left breast and lymph nodes but I don't have to hold my breath.... 

Only had 2 sessions so far and no side effects yet Fingers crossed and my schedule ranges from 8am to 6pm..... Delays seem to be worse later on in the day 

• I was told that the CT scan was only used to understand your body so that the treatment avoids your heart  and lungs.