Recently diagnosed breast cancer

• 5 replies
  • 268 subscribers

hi everyone

i was hoping to hear from anyone that may have gone through the journey that I am about to embark on its it’s all so scary being the unknown. In short I was diagnosed with DCIS had a biopsy and no cancer cells found but advised on having a mascetomy due to size of the area of dcis. I’ve done that and the results from my final biopsy have shown that I have/had cancer as there were 3 small areas that were not picked up in first biopsy - so they have diagnosed me as state 1 grade 3 I am ER positive and found out last week that I am also HER2 positive after being borderline and had the FISH test for final results. Very much my mind is all over the place from being given all this news - I have 3 children 10 years being my youngest so all this has hit me hard. I saw my oncologist last week who said my treatment plan will be 9 weeks EC every 3rd week and then 9 weeks of weekly pax and then Herceptin every 3rd week for a year whilst taking tamoxifen for 10 years - it’s all so overwhelming and I was hoping someone could share there experiences as I’m scared of the chemo and hair loss and taking all these drugs - I’ve never been ill or had time off work so this is life changing - any support greatly appreciated xx

• I was wondering how you all may have coped with the treatment x 

• Hi Luna. I’ve got a different type of cancer (TNBC) but didn’t want to leave you without a reply. I had chemotherapy first (12 weeks of paclitaxel & carboplatin alongside immunotherapy. I then had 4 lots of EC every 3 weeks. I too was never ill, hated being off work honestly I was gutted when I had to finish work (I work in a school so couldn’t be there being immunosuppressed. 
    ok hair loss, it’s hard I went from a bob to a pixie cut so it didn’t feel to daunting when I came to shave it off. I didn’t cold cap, have you thought about that? I had fine hair and didn’t think it would be worth it for me personally. I bought lots of beanie type hats and 2 wigs. One wig I’ve never worn, the other one which was similar to my own hair colour and style I had cut, it was thinned out to look more natural for me and I then wore it a fair bit. I wore it when I went back to work in July. My hair is coming back now and I have a covering now so I’ve ditched the wig and head covering (unless I’m cold!). In terms of treatment, EC made me really tired from about day 2/3 but this only lasted for about 4 days. I just rested load’s. I wasn’t sick once whilst on chemo. I did get heartburn and a terrible rash on my hands from paclitaxel but the hospital gave me cream for that. 
    Sometimes it is th unknown that is actually worse than the actual treatment. I burst into tears the first time I walked onto the chemo ward, but after that I was fine. 
    I am having a lumpectomy tomorrow which is giving me a nervous feeling but it’s another step to being free of this awful disease. Take care xx

• Thank you so much for your reply it really means a lot that you’ve shared your experience with the treatment and has made me feel positive as I know everyone can be different but it’s nice to know it’s not all total doom and gloom! I too work in a school but with finance so I’m hoping to just work from home like I did after my mascetomy which gave me a sense of normality and focusing on daily tasks - just to keep my mind active really ! I hope your lumpectomy goes well and I’m sure you will recover absolute fine as I’m 6 weeks after my op and feel great just having physio for the restricted moment but all good xx 

• Thanks good to hear you are doing well after your mastectomy. I wanted to work from home when I first finished but my Head said as I was having chemo weekly I needed to focus on myself! I am so glad I went back before the end of term though, it was a bit nerve wracking walking in on that first day after being off since February but once in everyone (bar one person) was absolutely lovely. 

• Hello Luna1980

Sorry about the length of my reply, but it’s difficult to get to the point on this subject. Ignore details of my cancer if you want to save an hour Rofl

I’m 56 and post menopausal (apparently), so my journey has been a bit different from yours.

What I can tell you is that you are bombarded with acronyms and scary things at the beginning of the journey, but you adapt as time go on and it gets easier. For me, I was surprised that it was little things that scared me, but they are easier to deal with.

It’s also good to remember that things do change along the way and what you fear may not be as bad as you thought. Or nothing changed and the impact is not as bad as you thought.

I asked my consultants to just tell me each step at a time, so that I could deal with one thing at a time, heal physically and mentally, then prepare myself for the next step. I felt more in control and able to cope this way.

My best friend manages a spa in Florida USA and the 5 hour time difference is great!if I can’t sleep.

Most of the clients are over 70 and she would ask them about cancer treatments they or friends had experience with and tips to make things easier. Or I would ask a question about treatment and she would research for me so I didn’t scare myself online.

SKIP IF NOT RELEVANT 

More info about me (bla bla)

My cancer diagnosis.

I had or still have (not sure) :

4cm tumour with calcification up to 7cm

DCIS high grade

Pure Ductal NST

Grade/Stage 2

ER+ and PR +

HER2 IHC 1 + Negative

I was pre menopausal (before Peri Menopausal) in February this year and Post  Menopausal in March (still trying to work that one out).

I had a mastectomy because there wouldn’t have been much left of the breast if they took 7cm + margin.

I am taking part in a study, so I didn’t have Chemotherapy and studies suggest that it wouldn’t have had significant benefits for me anyway.

I’m on Letrozole for 10 years (hormone blocker) and Zoledroronic Acid IV for 3 years (bone protection).

Every treatment makes me sick, but I have diverticulitis too, so it could be that and stress that make me sick and not the treatment.  I have been told it will lessen over time. Everyone is different and I’ve met lots of cancer patients along the way.

I’m hoping I don’t get morning sickness too as they made me get my Marina coil removed (that was eventful and weirdly enough funny).

I think I’m still getting monthly symptoms Rofl My husband said he will hand the baby over to the care team if they are wrongRofl