Breast lump and puckering. The agony of the 2 week wait

• 14 replies
  • 263 subscribers

Hi.

This week I found a lump and puckering in my left breast.

I saw a GP at my surgery who was great. Sadly she confirmed that both of these things were real.

The letter she has sent to the hospital said. 2cm hard lump and dimpling/puckering 2-3 cm and mild erythema.

Im lucky that my hospital appointment is on the 20th but this seems ages away and don’t know what to expect from this appointment.

Does anyone have any similar experience or advise please?

all the best to all, Gill

• Hi Gill0808 welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear what has been happening for you. Its all such a shock isnt it and your whole world gets turned on its head. 

They will want to examine you in the same way the GP has done and then they will want  a mammogram to see what it is they are looking at. Dependent on what they can see they will want to take some biopsies from the lump and your breast will be frozen for thta and you should only feel a small nip initially but nothing after that. Biopsies will be sent for Pathology and they should give you a date to come back and see them when they have all the results. Again dependent on what they find at this appointment you should be given a treatment plan so that you then know what they are going to do to treat this should it turn out to be a Breast  Cancer. 

Believe it or not that appointment on the 20th is within the 2 week timeframe for referral so whilst it seems ages away it is very quick which is good.

e are here for you and please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on, Ill be thinking of you. xxxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for your reply Gail.

im sorry if I sounded whiny at all. I really am very grateful that they are seeing me on the 20th. It’s just feels like I have too much time to overthink this.

Also I’m due to travel to Turkey on the 22nd and I’m not sure how I feel about this now. My life feels ‘on hold’ if that make sense?

• You didn't sound whiney at all..it can feel like forever when you are waiting. Indeed it does make perfect sense as I said your world is turned upside down and you don't appear to have much control over it. I promise you it does get better once you know what ur dealing with..xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Agony is the word Gill.

I hope you can do some things you enjoy which will break up the worry which very naturally can become constant and all consuming.

keeping active and letting as much fun into your life as you can may help the endurance. I certainly need to become better at being able to have fun and enjoyment whilst waiting for test results et cetera. It can feel impossible, but can be a very welcome short relief. I hope suggesting this does not seem insensitive, but one thing we all have in common on this forum is coping with the agony of waiting x
    with kindest regards Gill

• The first thing they will want to do is discuss having a mammogram or scan then maybe a mri if you are going to go to turkey two days later then the appointments will be when you come back then probably two weeks after tests for results go and enjoy yourself as much as possible and try to stay positive having a break will not make much difference to the outcome so enjoy x hugs x

• Thank you Gill.

I have a very busy job and have lovely family weekends it’s the night times that seem so long. I’ve tried to take on your advice and have download some new kindle books to lean on for these moments.

Kind regards 

Gill

• Thank you for reply, it was really helpful.There is a leaflet in my letter from the hospital which says the same as you said si I feel sort of prepared now.

i think I jmust sound like a brat banging on about my holiday but I know my husband was so looking forward to it. He loves the sun and deserves this break.Whereas I’m now just feeling like it’s one more thing to worry about. I’ve declared my “non diagnosed” status to my travel insurance who have confirmed they will cover me for everything else, just not this which I think is fair.

Kind regards 

• Hi, so just to update. 
    this morning I had a mammogram that confirmed the lump is just under 3cm.

i them had an Ultrasound whitch gave more detailed images of the lump and that also highlighted that there was something going on with a lymph node too.

They took a biopsy from each area and in the little consultancy after we were told the lump is cancer and when the biopsy for the lymph node are analysed I will be given some options for surgery and/or medications.I should hear from them in about 10 days. They said its almost certainly treatable and I’m so thankful for the wonderful way I was cared for today.

We have told our (adult) children and it’s been so tough to do. It was heartbreaking .
    Now I’m really sore and so tired as I didn’t sleep last night but strangely I feel calmer and stronger. Has anyone felt like this after their ‘confirmation’ please? 

• Hi Gill08 I'm sorry to hear that your fears were confirmed,however sounds like they are confidential that you will come out the other side snd that's fantastic news. I think you are absolutely tight about how you feel after the diagnosis because the awful waiting and wondering is over. Now you have a plan it's head down and tell yourself I can do this and I will and time will fly past. Thank you for keeping us updated and remember we are here for you still as and when you need us to be. Xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge