One positive node

• 32 replies
  • 265 subscribers

A question. I had 4 nodes out. 1 in positive.

would that have been the one closest to the primary breast tumour and then 2,3,4 are next along the line. Meaning that the first node is as far as it’s got?

or is it just random which one it goes to?

In which case how would one know - without removing them all and testing that it’s  not in nodes say 7,8,9 etc 

no one suggesting taking them all out. Just wondering what makes them so sure it hasn’t spread beyond the first node??

thanks all

• Yep that does make sense. Funny how we try to do a crash course in oncology isn’t it.

hope everything going “ok” for you you Anna 

• Thank you, I’m out the others side now and back to ‘real’ life, if you click on our names you can see our stories if you’d like to x

• Just read. Wow that’s seriously useful Anna. The biography’s are fascinating - love hearing peoples stories

you are a warrior - congratulations for getting through it all

• It’s also handy when people are asking for advise, if you can click and see basic info about their diagnosis and treatment, you can tailor advise to suit. I’m pleased you found it helpful, you want to be honest but not scare people, there is a lot of variety in our experiences of treatment xx

• Hi c22

I'm similar in that I had 5 nodes removed. 3 on left 2 on right. 1st node on left positive and all others negative. 

It was explained to me as a micromestastesis ie 0.2-2mm and encapsulated within that one lymph node. This counts as a negative for lymph node spread and doesn't require any further lymph nodes to be removed. 

The oncologist said they wouldn't expect to see any further spread with this type of presentation as the breast cancer goes to the lymph nodes first.

I have begun chemotherapy after Oncotype test result.

I hope this helps but as others have said, ask any questions you have of your team, until you're as satisfied as you can be.

Wishing you well with the next steps.

Hugs, Shaka

• That’s very helpful Thankyou. Hope you are coping with the chemo.

another question ! 10 days after my lumpectomy and snb I can still feel a lumps ridge on my breast. And a lump around and above the scar on arm pit. Is that just bruising do you think? I know he didn’t get clear margins on my boob but it feels like a bit bigger than what i imagine would have been left behind??

• Hi c22, I was very lumpy after my surgery. There will be a lot of bruising, as they do root around a bit. My lumps  have settled a lot, 12 weeks later.

Chemo is definitely a bummer.  The side effects are not nice but so far I'm managing. 

Hoping your next surgery goes well. I'm happy to share anything else that might be of use. I know what an anxious time this is. 

Take really good care, hugs.  Shaka

• I just listened to a podcast by liz o’roidan on chemo…… super helpful if not a tad scarey. 

How are you feeling??

may I ask what was you oncotype score and I’m so sorry if I have an ready asked - how long after your op did your chemo start? Sounds so silly but I was meant to be taking my daughter to see Taylor Swift in August - we’ve been so excited all year and feel like blowing that out would just break me a little bit. Trivial - but I have found I get amazingly hung up on the trivial problems. A distraction from the big ones maybe?!

• I still had lumps 3 months after my lumpectomy . I saw a physio , who showed me how to massage the breast to reduce the scar tissue. It’s definitely improved  my SNB scar is pretty neat now , I said it looked like a Rottweiler had chewed it after the op and I’m now happy to wear a vest . It will get better , takes time x 

• Yes, Dr Liz's stuff is very informative.  I've watched that episode about prepping for chemo, it was really helpful.

I'm on day 4 after round #2. Feeling fatigued, sore scalp and headache.  Nausea was horrible after round #1, I lost 10lbs. They gave me different meds this time, so minimal nausea. I try to push through and still do things though, both around the house and I go out socially. 

I've had sore nail beds too but I've been using a calendula balm, which has helped a lot. 

My ODX score was 28. And I started chemo 10wks post surgery. 

I wouldn't write off your Taylor Swift event yet! Even if you've begun chemo, you may still be able to go. It's not trivial at all. I believe we need to keep living our lives.