Letrozole and afterwards

• 13 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi All,

I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed two months ago and I’m healing very well. The Doctors have told me I am clear and I’m so delighted about that. Everyone was super supportive when I was diagnosed, which meant a lot, but when I told people I’m clear, it’s seems like they think I’m okay now and don’t need as much support.

Also, I started taking Letrozole five weeks ago, just one small tablet a day for five years and at first all was well. I’ve lived on my own for nearly forty years, travelled on my own etc., nothing has ever bothered me, but now sometime I feel a little anxious or insecure. I’m not sure wether this is the tablets or wether this is something you just go through having treatment for cancer.

I would love to hear anyone else’s opinions, or if you have been through something similar.

Thankyou, love and hugs to all.xxx

• This is the time you really need support.  Mentally you start process. There is a paper written , when treatment ends by Peter Harvey. Sorry not good at technology,  but it's on this website.  All the best x

• Hello

I was diagnosed in January for bc and had a mastectomy in March.  I have 5 rounds of radiotherapy (last one tomorrow). I have been on letrozole for nearly 3 weeks and was very weepy this morning and not sure if this is how it's going to be or just because of the last overwhelming few months. Any advice? X

• Hi

I was diagnosed with bc in January and had a mastectomy in March.  I have been taking letrozole for nearly 3 weeks and was very weepy this morning. I was wondering if this is how it's going to be or just initial reaction to the medication. Any advice? X

• Hi  and other lovely folk here, I felt increasingly anxious after going back to work after radiotherapy (I’m on Anastrozole, similar to letrozole). I managed to get through 10 months of working alternate days, couldn’t ever face consecutive days. Wasn’t really coping with work, just getting through each day, found it really hard to focus. Finally the anxiety about it all was just too overwhelming, by which time I’d been on the Anastrozole for a year. I was signed off sick and never actually went back. GPs wanted to put me on anti depressants but I really didn’t feel depressed, just so anxious. I ended up taking ill health retirement and have coped so much better since. I was lucky though to be able to do that, I know. I retired (from teaching) a few years earlier than planned so there have been financial implications but it’s been manageable. 
    Hope I can post the link to the Peter Harvey article, I’ve found it so useful over the years xxx Nope can’t copy and paste, no idea why, I’ve done it lots of times before!  Anyhoo, Google When treatment finishes by Peter Harvey and it should appear. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi Snozzle I  was diagnosed January, surgery February and radiotherapy April and started Letrozole 4 weeks- I waited about 3 weeks after radiotherapy before taking the Letrozole. I was very worried and weepy after the radiotherapy finished and hot flushes seemed worse so I couldn't sleep which wasn't helping- I had to go to my GP for some help as I  was spiralling. I was prescribed a small dose of anti depressant that helps calm down the hot flushes as an alternative to HRT which I can't take now and has also stabilised my mood. I haven't cried or felt overly worried since taking it. I started letrozole about 2 weeks after that and have felt more fatigued and my existing aches are a bit worse. I'm just hoping it settles down. I'm drinking more water to keep hydrated and trying to go for a walk every day x

• Hi Snozzle,

It seems we’re in the same boat hun, a bugger isn’t it. I do a daily diary as I find it helps hugely, just getting everything off your chest and off your mind. Also I go for a walk everyday (our wonderful British weather permitting lol), fresh air does you good and can clear the cobwebs.

I try to keep myself occupied with interests and hobbies. I go for a walk with Macmillan every Tuesday and a chair exercise class with them on a Thursday. If you haven’t already, do ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are wonderfully helpful and also find your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here. They are brilliant and you can talk about anything in complete confidence.

Lets hope things get better for both of us and I will keep fingers and everything crossed.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Hello Boobybabe2,  Fist thing I loved was the pictures of the bras.  Uplifting and I liked what it said under one of the bras support.  Sometimes when we have had cancer treatment and told we are all clear it certainly is a relief but we have not had time to process everything and the emotions surface every now and then.  Also we are not done with our treatment when we are taking aromatase inhibitors and that comes with side effects too.  With the absence of estrogen our mood is affected for sure.  Ups and downs.  
    You have been so independent for such a long time that you still feel that you can do it all but we all need a little hug and emotional support too.  
    Another thing that I noticed as I have gotten older.  I am 75 now and I have become more of a worrier.  I was never like that and always felt positive and knew I could handle things as they came along.   Ugh!!  All these things that change us.  I am on Anastrazole so feel more vulnerable too.  Well all I know is that we have made it through so far and continue to keep on moving forward.  BTW did you have radiation therapy?  I am sending you a virtual hug and it is always ok to ask for support.  

Barbara 

• Hi Barbara, 

Thank you so much for your response and lovely sentiments. I think you are right, I forgot all about the loss of estrogen and what the lack of it would entail.

I am awaiting my appointment for five days radiotherapy, so hope things won’t be too bad after that.

Your so right when you say we have made it this far and have to keep moving forward, we’re pretty amazingly really aren’t we Slight smileThumbsup tone3

Thank you again and sending you lone  of love and hugs.xxx

• Hello,  I finished my radiation treatments in May 2022 so yippee.  I had whole breast radiation as couldn’t have partial as my breasts are small and radiation oncologist said that partial would mean whole in my case.  Gotta laugh at that!!  I had 16 treatments to both and then a boost of 5 extra to the right one as one of the margins for DCIS was only 1mm and they wanted to be safe as reoccurrence is usually in tumor bed so got the boost there.  They didn’t want to do further surgery as there was no ink on DCIS and me being small the results would not have been cosmetically good.  Radiation was not bad but I did moisturize religiously and started about a week prior to the beginning of radiation.  Also did breast massage starting 3 weeks post radiation and did for over a year.  Helped to keep my breasts soft and the moisturizing was good too.  The radiation oncologist gave me the OK to do it.  I have a video if you want to have it on how to do massage.  It is excellent.  
    Take care

Barbara