Results

• 7 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hello all, I had my lumpectomy and sentinel lode biopsy today. I expected to be given exercises to do and to be started in hormone treatment.

I was discharged around 6.30pm and told I'd have an outpatients appointment in 3 months for the results and to discuss any additional treatment.

Is this normal as it seems a very long time to wait?

Thanks, Lynne 

• Hi Lynne that does sound like a long wait. My results appointment was 2 weeks after the surgery. I know different hospitals have different time scales but that does seem a long time to have to wait. Hope you manage to get an earlier appointment than that. Best wishes xx

• Hello Lynne,

That seems to be a very long wait. Why don’t you call the breast team and see if you can ask for an earlier date. I know different Trusts do things differently from each other but my experience was that after surgery, I saw the team 2 weeks later to discuss results and plan going forward. The information about exercises was given to me prior to surgery by the breast care nurse and so I started doing them a couple of days after surgery. 

• Thank you Ruva, I was just thinking the same thing and have decided to call the breast nurse this morning. Maybe it should have been 3 weeks which is more along the lines of what I'd have expected. Hope you are doing well xx

• Thanks Skyemum,  I am going to call the breast nurse this morning for clarification. The past month since diagnosis has been so busy as it will have been for everyone with so many appointments so a 3 month gap with nothing seems strange! Best wishes to you too.and hope you're doing well xx

• Hi, that is a long time. I received an appointment 10 days later, although my HER2 truly did take 3-4 weeks to come back. I can only think you may have a low grade, small cancer and they feel very confident recurrence is unlikely . 

• Hi  hope you are doing okay ?

If you weren't given exercises, here is the sheet I was given, start the 1st batch today. I found it easier after painkillers. 

bcc6_exercises_booklet_2019_web.pdf (breastcancernow.org)

That is a long time to wait for results. I know someone who waited 6 weeks for results but then had radiotherapy starting a few weeks later. She was prescribed the hormone therapy at the results appointment.

• Calling them sounds like a good plan. Do let us know how you get on. Best wishes