Covid booster- are people taking up the offer?

• 28 replies
  • 257 subscribers

Hello all. I have been invited to go in for a covid booster jab. I’m guessing it’s because of the cancer diagnosis and treatment. I have booked to get it but I’m just wondering if people are taking up the offer or not. Best wishes.

• Yes, advice from my oncologist was to take all boosters as offered.  Have my next one in a week.  It is a personal choice but caught my first ever Covid infection over Christmas, nothing more than cold symptoms.  Catching it whilst undergoing chemo could be much worse. X

• I too was strongly urged by my oncologist to get the covid booster and to take up the offer of the shingles vaccine.

• Yes, have taken every single one offered. I still get offered 3 years after completing chemo.

• You bet, I am booked in this afternoon.  If I find I am not eligible when I get there I will organise one privately anyway. The last thing I need is for a bout of Covid to be worse than it needs to be. 

• I’m sure you will get your jab. I’ve just returned from having mine and I just had to confirm my diagnosis.  I’m pretty sure the nurse had the details on her screen anyway. Best wishes. 

• I had booked mine into my own doctors surgery. Done with no questions asked. 

• Interesting, I tried and was told I am not eligible as I am not longer immunosupporessed. I finished treatment early 2022. 

Community Champion badge

• I’ve also had an invite. I’m a bit confused that we have to show proof that we are immunosuppressants in order to qualify. Does this put us in a very minority group to receive the jab. If the jab doesn’t protect you from getting Covid and not many people are taking it up, what’s the point!  I thought a majority take up of this jab was said to create herd immunity.  I don’t understand why the Covid jab is not just an annual booster.  

• I had a text last week from NHS inviting me to book and so I’ve booked mine for tomorrow. I had surgery this time last year and radiotherapy last summer. I hope they consider that as eligible? They did for shingles, I‘ve just had those in January and March.

• I’ve booked my Spring booster for Friday but I start radiotherapy on Monday. I’m waiting to hear from my consultant whether that’s “too close for comfort”. Has anyone had advice about the need for a longer gap between the two please?