Covid booster- are people taking up the offer?

• 28 replies
  • 262 subscribers

Hello all. I have been invited to go in for a covid booster jab. I’m guessing it’s because of the cancer diagnosis and treatment. I have booked to get it but I’m just wondering if people are taking up the offer or not. Best wishes.

• Hi I don't want to cause alarm and  obviously it's your decision and its good you are checking with your consultant but I personally wouldn't have it so close. I didn't feel too good after my first radiotherapy session. I had a bad headache for hours that wouldn't shift. The other sessions were fine but now a few days after finishing I'm feeling nausea, off balance and tired. 

• One thing to bear in mind is whether it will give you a sore arm, and if so, whether that will allow you to get into position for radiotherapy. I had my spring booster on Monday, it has given me a sore arm (the Covid jabs always do), but otherwise no side effects. Think back to how you were after the last one you had, it will likely be similar - the NHS is using the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines (vaccine has been tweaked). 

• Thanks. I heard from my consultant who advised me to delay my Covid jab until after radiotherapy is completed. 

• I haven’t had side effects from previous jabs but have now delayed the Spring booster for a couple of weeks. 
    My consultant suggested having the vaccination in my thigh. 

• I was advised by my consultant to wait three weeks after I complete my radio therapy.

• Thanks that's good to know - I was thinking 2- 3 weeks - I'll book mine for 3 weeks after.

• I was also not eligible. Apparently had to  have had chemo or radio therapy within past 6 months. I had radio 9 months ago so not eligible. I wish they hadn’t sent me the email inviting me.

• That’s daft.  They know your health record so why waste time and money calling up people only to turn them away. 

• I received the invitation a few days ago.  I'm slightly irritated as I asked my GP if I could have the booster + flu jab in tue Autumn but I was told that I wasn't eligible under NHS England rules, despite having a cancer diagnosis.  Now I could be eligible.  I will probably opt to have it though.

Mind a pharmacist who took my blood pressure for me kast year told me that the covid jab caused cancer and I shouldn't have had the three injections I had had.  He knew my diagnosis as I had literally just told him.  I wish now I'd reported him, but I was days out of lymph node surgery and still in shock.  I changed pharmacy though! 

• I do wish pharmacists would all sing from the same hymn sheet They are supposed to follow national guidelines. I qualify because I am immunosuppressed from RH arthritis medication, but this was my first booster since my cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. I told the pharmacist this & she said cancer is not on recommended list. She also refused to vaccinate my husband who has heart failure, takes 8 tablets & is my carer. We are both 71. It’s frustrating.