LD Flap Reconstruction

• 5 replies
  • 251 subscribers

Hi, 

I was diagnosed with cancer 3 weeks ago in my right breast and have been back to the hospital today for more biopsies on the left which I’ll hopefully get the results for in the next 2 weeks. I’ve been told I will definitely be having mastectomy on the right and will have to wait and see what the results are from today regarding what happens with the left. I asked for a double mastectomy to remove what’s in the left breast but my consultant has refused and said she will only remove the left if there is cancer present. Initially I was offered a DIEP flap immediate reconstruction but I’ve been told today that I will be having an LD flap reconstruction as there isn’t enough in my stomach area because I’m quite slim. Has anyone had this? What has your recovery been like? This was a bit of a surprise to me today as I’d done all my reading and made my decision on reconstruction based on the DIEP flap. Would love to hear from anyone who’s had it done. Are you happy with it? Does it look good? Sorry for my rambling…… x

• Hi  

I haven't had the reconstruction that you're asking about but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much, really appreciate it.x

• Hi

I have had breast reconstruction but did not have enough body tissue and had immediate breast reconstruction with implants.  I am BRACA 2 and had a double mastectomy. My breast surgeon supported this decision. My recovery was good and I am please with the result.

So very different scenarios from you. My advice is keep asking questions.  However I know that can be hard.  If you can take someone with you.  Two heads are better than on.

All the best

ricki
  • H Ricki, 

Thanks for your response. I’d never heard of LD flap reconstruction so I guess it threw me as the consultant had spoken to me about DIEP flap at my last appointment and seemed to think it would be possible.  I’m going to call my nurse next week with more questions as I don’t feel like I asked what I wanted to at my last appointment. 

I’m glad you had a positive experience and you’re happy with the results. I hope  you’re doing well now? X

• I'm of to see the consultant on Monday to discuss mastectomy and still not sure to have implant or reconstruction.

There are pro and cons for all. I start reading one option and say I go for that one then carry on reading and change my mind! 

As  says so many scenarios, keep asking questions and do take someone on with you!!

It's a minefield out there. 

Good luck