Mastectomy

• 5 replies
  • 248 subscribers

Dear all. I have potentially a mastectomy booked for this Friday. The doctors want it done asap but can’t have reconstruction yet. Anybody else gone through this as don’t know what to expect in terms of recovery and emotional side. I’m feeling very scared 

• Hi RKD

I had a mastectomy last week following a lumpectomy and re-excision with full axilla node clearance.  I came out of hospital with two exudrains in place but one of these was taken out after 6 days due to it moving and leaking. The other is still in place after 11 days.  The drains have been the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. I have some swelling but pain is minimal.  I would advise you to buy a good front fastening post op bra. I bought one from M&S. I was given a softie to put into my bra by the breast nurse until I am able to be fitted for a prosthesis and this looks good enough that people can’t see the difference. (I am large chested so was worried about looking odd).  
    I was worried about how I would feel psychologically but I am okay. I was a little emotional at first but the positive is that there won’t be any remaining cancer cells and no need for further surgeries.  Also, a plan can be put in place for the next stage and whatever treatment is required.

It’s understandable to feel scared but try to find the positive and look at it as the first step to being cancer free.

Good luck with your operation and I wish you a speedy recovery.

• I had masectomy in Nov you will probably have drain in when discharged expect a lot of swelling and tiredness but it does improve quickly and stay positive as you can .

• Hi RKD,

I had a single mastectomy without reconstruction yesterday and am in awe of the NHS. I was in afternoon surgery and home in the evening, I think if straightforward our hospital doesn't keep mastectomy  patients overnight.  My experience has been that the waiting for the results then waiting for surgery was way worse than the actual surgery, the last week I was very emotional but this morning feel much calmer as the 'bad' has been removed.  And I've only had discomfort rather than pain,  managed with paracetamol through the night. I've not had much sleep propped up in bed but know I can sleep through the day. 

Wishing you all the best for Friday. 

• Also, I found Ally Boothroyd Yoga Nidra sessions on YouTube helpful to try and calm myself in the days leading up to the op.