Newly diagnosed

• 18 replies
  • 256 subscribers

Hi 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 11 April, I'll get my biopsy results in a few days. For now I'm in limbo, I don't know what type or treatment required other than surgery-even the type of that unknown. 

This has come from left field, I discovered a lump only 5 weeks ago and was convinced it was a cyst!

The clinic staff were amazing and I have a great support system in family and friends but I don't know what or how I should be feeling. 

Wanted to share with people who'll understand where I am who may be able to give advice/support.

Heart

• Hello Wendy

Like you, I was diagnosed on the 11th April and am new here too. 

I had a routine mammogram which showed a small lump and was called back in for a further mammogram, an ultrasound and a biopsy.

I'm told its treatable and may be offered a place on the SMALL trial. I think I've been numb for the past day or two but it's really hit home today. I have people around me but feel I want to be alone to think and have a good cry.

It's all very overwhelming Heart️ 

• Hi Wendy and Carmen so sorry you are going through this. I was diagnosed in January this year. Had lumpectomy and surgery to the other side - a slight reduction to even up as the lumpectomy would leave that breast slightly smaller in February. I'm now having radiotherapy for 5 days. It's very overwhelming all the waiting for results and lots of information given to you at appointments. Just be kind to yourself and seek help if needed. Maggies were great for me. Sending hugs and best wishes to you xx

• Hello Wendy,

I'm so sorry you find yourself with breast cancer. It 's a very frightening place to be and so I'm glad you have lots of support from family and friends and all the clinic staff. Waiting for treatment plans and results can be very hard too .

There is no right or wrong way to feel , everyone is very different and it can be a real rollercoaster of emotions. Don't be hard on yourself and accept the help and support offered.

I do advise you to avoid looking on-line for information unless it's places that have been recommended by your breast team. I petrified my self doing that !!

All the very best going forward

With love and hugs

WMK

• Hi Carmen, difficult to know what to say and do isn't it. Wishing you all the best Cupid 

• Hi WMK

Thak you for your kind words. I am avoiding the Web, not even read the leaflets given at the clinic yet. I was told that before my appointment next Tuesday that it may confuse me.

Day at a time x

• I wish you all the best too x it is very difficult but I'm glad I've found this group xx

• Hi Wendy . Sorry you find yourself here but there are lots of wise people .  The 1st day of diagnosis was the worst for me , I didn’t sleep . Once you get your biopsy results , they will know what they are dealing with and you will have a treatment plan x 

• Hi I just been diagnosed stage 1 did they offer you chemo to shrink tumour before lumpectomy ty

• Hi Wendy

I too found a lump, wasn’t due my next mammogram until February 2025, as I’d had lumps in the past I just thought it would be a cyst.

I was diagnosed on 21st December and found out my treatment plan on 11th February. I found the waiting between was the hardest. Once I knew my treatment plan it felt like a relief as I finally knew what was going to happen. I’m on immunotherapy and chemotherapy (I’ve had 11 of my 12 weekly ones, and then will move to every three weeks for 12 weeks). This will be followed by surgery and possibly radiotherapy. I’ve been diagnosed with Triple Negative. 

Good luck, as others said don’t google. I also had to let go of planning and overthinking. It’s hard but I couldn’t worry about work etc, I needed to concentrate on me and treatment. 

• Hi

Not been given any updates as yet, should've been there on Tuesday but they called to say not all tests back yet so now have to wait another week Anguished