Newly diagnosed

• 18 replies
  • 258 subscribers

Hi 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 11 April, I'll get my biopsy results in a few days. For now I'm in limbo, I don't know what type or treatment required other than surgery-even the type of that unknown. 

This has come from left field, I discovered a lump only 5 weeks ago and was convinced it was a cyst!

The clinic staff were amazing and I have a great support system in family and friends but I don't know what or how I should be feeling. 

Wanted to share with people who'll understand where I am who may be able to give advice/support.

Heart

• Hi hun,I'm so sorry your in this awful situation, im stage 4 terminal with metastatic breast cancer,so I know what your thinking an how you are feeling.Its a real rollercoaster of emotions. There are a lot of treatment options available to you.they will look at which is the best fit for the best outcome. Everything your feeling an thinking is completely normal. It's scary fear of the unknown. But it will be OK.lots of hugs x

• Hi Deb - sorry for the late reply  no they didn't just straight to surgery and then radiotherapy. I've been prescribed Letrozole for 5 years but think I will wait a couple of weeks before starting it to get over any radiotherapy side effects first. I had my last session today Blush

• Hi Wendy

That limbo time is horrible.  I went to see the consultant for the first time today and although its very treatable and has been caught early it's still going to be a full mastectomy due to DCIS and a small area of invasive cancer.  I didn't have a lump just a cluster of calcification on a routine mammogram which was biopsies  

It sure is a lot to process.  It's good there is a support group where we can support each other

Love from Tara

• Wishing you all the best with your treatment Tara x

• Hi Whatnext

Similar to yourself I was diagnosed December. Told it was highly likely to be cancer 5/12 & this was confirmed 20/12. Totally agree with what you’ve said to Wendy that the waiting to find out what tests & treatment was ahead just so difficult, totally messed with your head especially if you googled everything. Once you know then at least you can concentrate on that & try not to think too far ahead (hard I know). 

i had surgery on 2/2 to remove a 3.6mm lump from left breast & full auxiliary node clearance of which 3 out of 15 lymph nodes were positive for cancer. Had another follow up surgery 19/2 as had infection & more cells were found in original surgery so they wanted to clear them too. Due to have 6 chemos & had first EC Tues 16/4. 

Sorry Wendy you’re having to go through this too & you Whatnext (& everyone else on here️) & wish you all well Heart️

• Thank you lovely,  everyone is being so supportive. Wishing you all the best with your treatment x

• It’s good to air your worries on this forum as support is so good. 

Thanks & you x

• Hi Wendy, I had a biopsy after finding a lump on 5/4/24 and then got results on 11/4/24, so 6 days, which was decent I thought.

Seems a while in limbo now till surgery on 3/5/24, but I guess just over 3 weeks. People keep telling me I'm taking it well - working my angst off at gym and on week 9 of C25K now. Still checking my lump daily to see if I can tell any growth - not sure on that but its tender since biopsies and clip insertion which did hurt at the time.

Tbh, I would not be taking it anywhere near as well if I'd needed a mastectomy and just grateful that its a lumpectomy. I'm very attached to my nipples and would only accept their removal in a life or death situation. I'm also the type to compartmentalise and not panic until I know.

Next hurdle, node results, very important as I might get away with not having chemo if clear. Got a 12 day wait for that result, which would of been 10 but for May bank holiday. 

It's good that they told me weeks ago all the appointment dates, helps to know when results are due.