Cold Cap before Chemo - Yes or No??

• 49 replies
  • 262 subscribers

Hi

I'm after some advice/feedback on whether to have the cold cap to retain some, if not most, of my hair.  I have shoulder length very thick curly hair and had decided I was just going to get myself resigned to the fact I'll lose it all.  However, after a brief chat with the Breast Cancer Nurse today I'm torn between trying it or not.  It sounds so uncomfortable and time consuming (with what I've heard) with not particularly good results.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

PS Any tips on wigs, chemo hats, turbans, scarves would be good too!

Sanguine

• Hi Sanguine

I did scalp cooling during my chemo and have just done a blog of my experiences.

The Changing Faces of Cancer- Scalp cooling, Hair loss and Regrowth. - Macmillan Online Community

Hope this helps- its a personal decision, but for me I thought I may as well try it and if it didn't work / If I didn't like it, then I would be no worse off. 

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• That’s great Jane, thanks. 

• I’m currently on second cycle of EC chemotherapy and cold capping. So far I think I’ve kept about 60% of my hair. The shedding is disheartening but I was told to expect it. I’ve heard that once on Doxytaxol it may slow down so I’m aiming for that - if it doesn’t then I may just brave the shave!
    the actual process isn’t too bad once you’ve gone through the first 10 minutes- be prepared because this is quite an ordeal,  but you do get used to it and discomfort settles down.

• I’m about to start EC chemo then have Docetaxel too. I see, thanks for that info it really helps. Not sure I like the ordeal of it (if it is an ordeal) on top of the chemo. 
    The joys of breast cancer! Rolling eyes

• Hi Sanguine, I cold capped throughout the whole of my treatment. I had 4 x EC (which is really harsh on hair) and 4 x Docetaxel. Whilst I lost about 80% of my hair I am glad I carried on. During Docetaxel it started to grow back. It helps the hair follicles and whilst some people just have thinning and not loose much other like me loose more and yes some loose all. Everyone is different. It does mean being in hospital a little longer with it and yes it’s uncomfortable to start with but you do get used to it. When I had lost most of my hair I was given a surgical cap to help prior to having the cold cap. This worked well as it just acted like having hair on the bald patches. It’s worth giving it a go as if you don’t use it on your first cycle you cannot use it at all. At least giving it a try if you feel you don’t like it you can always stop it’s not an issue. My hair is growing back well now a year down the line since I finished chemo and I’m pleased I preserved. It’s still short about 10cm in length. 
    I got wigs from the wonderful wig company and also from trendco. 
    I got various beanies from Amazon.

Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi cuffcake2000

Thanks for the info. It does sound quite harsh going through the cold cap and still losing 80% of your hair. Must have been disheartening at times. Good to hear your hair is returning. I have until next week to decide. 
    Thanks for the wig and beanies info too! Xxx

• Hello Sanguine, 

I’ve just come through 4 rounds of EC and will be heading into 4 rounds of Docetexal. From day 1 I knew I wanted to use the cold cap and have to say from my own personal perspective I’m glad I did. Whilst my hair isn’t anything like it was I do have around 80% left. I do have a wig which is great but I don’t really enjoy wearing it and haven’t felt the need to use scarves, I do wear a cap when I don’t want to wear my wig and have enough hair protruding you wouldn’t notice anything going on.

whilst cold capping adds a little extra time to the process, 30mins before, 2 changes during treatment and then a final 30 mins after, it’s worth giving a go in my view.

The first few mins I found tough, it’s bloody cold and a real shock but you do get used to it.

For me it wasn’t necessarily about retaining my hair but rather the benefits to maintaining the hair follicle, there loads of information on the Paxman website that may help you decide if it’s for you or not.

Hope this helps xx

• Hi Sanguine

Following tips I've seen on this site, I've been taking 2 paracetamol  one hour before the cold cap goes on. When both caps are on I tuck a headband just under the blue cap to keep it off my forehead without lifting it off my hair. The first 10 mins are the worst when I feel as if I can't bear it but once that stage has passed  you become used to it. I take a thick cardigan with me and also have a blanket in case I feel cold. The nurses are usually doing obs etc during that time so that's a good distraction. 

The cap has to be worn for approx 30 mins  before chemo  to cool the hair follicles and for between 20 and 90 minutes afterwards, depending on which drug is being given. ( I was reading the paxman info on my last session .....)

I've only had 3 treatments of weekly Paclitaxel and haven't lost any hair so far...fingers crossed that it's only minimal. I've bought scarves and headbands from various sites on Etsy  though just in case.

Even if I lose a lot of my hair I will still carry on cold capping hoping that it will protect the hair follicles for later on.

Hope everything goes well for you 

xx

• Hello. I too would like to get some tips. Will be very helpful to follow this thread. I had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance 3 weeks ago and need further surgery on the 15th, then chemo after that. So I’m probably about 5 weeks behind you.  I too have super thick curly hair and expected to lose it all. I do sometimes get migraines so am not sure the cold capping with work. I have had my hair cut to more like jaw length in anticipation of the cold cap was also an opportunity to try having my hair in a shorter style for the first time ever! I thought I’d try and see how it goes. I do wish you luck. 

• Home - Paxman (paxmanscalpcooling.com)

This link may offer some more info.

I also get migraines but found they were unaffected by scalp cooling. I kept a lot of hair and felt it was successful for me. Higher up the thread there is a link to my blog with more details and photos. It gives info about hair care etc.

I don't regret using the cooling cap and for me it was worth it for the regrowth, protecting the follicles and preventing against the chance of permanent hair loss. I found the first 20 mins or so painful but after that it was ok. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm