Cold Cap before Chemo - Yes or No??

• 49 replies
  • 267 subscribers

Hi

I'm after some advice/feedback on whether to have the cold cap to retain some, if not most, of my hair.  I have shoulder length very thick curly hair and had decided I was just going to get myself resigned to the fact I'll lose it all.  However, after a brief chat with the Breast Cancer Nurse today I'm torn between trying it or not.  It sounds so uncomfortable and time consuming (with what I've heard) with not particularly good results.

Any thoughts would be a great help.

PS Any tips on wigs, chemo hats, turbans, scarves would be good too!

Sanguine

• Thank you Jane. Really helpful. I was going to try and practice yoga breathing and learn a meditation if I can beforehand as I thought this may help too. Thank you x

• Hi I cold capped through Docetaxel and EC - I didn’t mind the cold, in fact it helped with the hot flushes. I lost about 50% of my hair, mostly at the crown, but the hair at the back and sides kept growing. (An interesting look) 2 weeks after I completed chemo in August 23  I shed more hair and my eyebrows, but it all soon grew back, my hair is growing back thick and curly - much more so than before chemo. I bought lots of scarfs but didn’t use them, I opted for handybands from seasalt - they worked really well for me. Yoga and breathing a great help. Vicky Fox is a good yoga teacher specializing in yoga for cancer - many online classes - some are free. 

• You can get Headspace meditation App free via the charity Penny Brohn - very helpful 

• You can get the headspace meditation app for free via the charity penny Brohn 

• Thank you Newbuds. The image of losing crown hair and growing at the sides make me laugh! I look forward to all this!!! The websites and resources you have suggested are fantastic. I have booked onto some mindfulness sessions already and requested the free app. When a bit more mobile will try the yoga. Super helpful. Thank you 

• Breathing through it does help and I did this and tried to zone out a bit.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi, thanks that helps. Sorry to hear you’re having so much chemo. Must admit I’m not looking forward to starting it. Retaining 80% of hair sounds very positive. I’m am going to order a wig & a couple of beanies either way I think. The hair follicle aspect is a good point that I hadn’t thought of. 

I’ll look in that website.

All the best xx

• Hi, really appreciate your comments. Everyone is being so helpful so all this info is great. Brilliant you’ve kept your hair. I’m having EC which seems to be one of the ones that hair loss is common unfortunately. I am hearing quite a lot of positives for the cold cap. 

Thanks, hope all goes well for you too xx

• Hi CurlyKl

I had ops on 2/2 and 19/2 so yes not too far behind. My hair was longer. Had recent cut of about 3” off to take it to jawline and a month before about 2” off as pre-empting chemo.

Still unsure about having cold cap to be honest and after talking to my daughters tonight they said they wouldn’t bother. Reckon it would be extra worry every time you wash your hair as to how much has fell out this time rather than have it cut very short and let chemo take its course. They have a good point as there are some nice headwear and wigs around. 

Do you think you may give it a go? 

• Hi Newbuds

Thanks for info, very helpful as all these posts are Smiley keeping 50% is good. Keep hearing good so undecided again!

I’ll look up the yoga, thanks.