Diagnosed with a 2nd Primary

• 7 replies
  • 269 subscribers

one year ago diagnosed with breast cancer been through mastectomy, chemotherapy  and radiotherapy now on letrozole all other treatments paused because l have now been diagnosed with a second primary cancer of the oesophageal booked in for a scan next week followed by appointment with consultant to know the way forward definitely having chemotherapy I have been told this. Anyone else out there that has had the same experience or any advise would be helpful xx

• Hi JaneyM1

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with a 2nd primary cancer.

Wishing you the best of luck with your scan next week.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Dear JaneyM1,

sorry about your new diagnosis of a 2nd primary tumor in esophagus.  Hope all goes well with your scan and consultant appointment.  Take care of yourself.  Did they find this other tumor during a routine scan?

Barbara 

• There are a few of us here, possibly even several, who have had to deal with two cancers at the same time. Mine are breast cancer and lymphoma, as well as some non-cancer issues with other departments. The main piece of advice I would give is to make sure both your cancer teams have all the data from all the other departments. I did this by choosing one particular hospital person as my main point of contact and channeled everything through them, as well as checking with the consultants that they are aware of certain key pieces of information from the other departments. This way they don't end up stepping on each other's toes, so to speak, and I know I am not being given treatments that are blind to one another.

Other than that, I would ask if, and how, each cancer and its treatment affect the other, how are they going to liaise with one another in order to keep themselves coordinated, as well as a question I tend to ask in new situations -- "Doctor, is there anything else I should have asked you?" 

• Hopeful barb

no I was having a lot of acid reflux I had just started my abememcilib I was feeling so ill and started to lose weight they reduced the dose but l went to my Doctors they told me it was from the treatment but when I had my oncologist meeting over the phone I spoke to the nurse she told me to go back to Doctors and to arrange to have a camera I paid private to have the camera and it was found straight away. I have now had my breast treatment put on hold until I have treatment for this now. 

• Hi Greycats

l had all my chemotherapy and radiotherapy done for the breast cancer but all my other treatments for the breast cancer has to be put on hold but I’m in the same hospital for my treatment 

• Hi,

Sorry you have found out you have a 2nd primary  - life can be pants! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September, had a mastectomy in October, started chemo before Christmas and on Jan got told I had primary thyroid cancer wich will be require surgery after radiotherapy. I wish you well going forward x

• Hi Lucky D

wishing you well take care, xx