Anastrozole weight gain & insomnia

• 28 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Hi, I’m 58 & had a double mastectomy in June last year. I’fe been taking Anastrozole since around September. My eating habits have not changed at all but my weight definitely has! Anyone else experienced weight gain taking this? The fact that I’m not sleeping either is doing nothing for my energy levels to be able to counteract the weight gain. I can be absolutely exhausted when going to bed but then just lay there wide awake. 2 hours sleep on a night is not uncommon. I’ve got a check up with my clinical oncologist in April but just wondered if anyone else has had these experiences with Anastrozole. 

• Hi, I don't think that's a particularly common side effect, but I am not an expert. It's worth checking with the oncologist, or even giving the lovely folks here at Macmillan a call and chatting to them about it. The number is 0800 808 0000. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• I had an immediate (within 2 months)weight gain of nearly 2 stone with letrozole . I was changed to exemestane and weight gain has slowed but I haven't got back to where I was before despite exercise.  Sleeping is less of a problem but I have some difficult nights. I find getting up and making a small cup of hot milk and 2 paracetamol often helps. When I was on chemo and not sleeping I got some meds from my GP. I took these after 3 nights of no sleep - no more because I didn't want to become too reliant. I also listen to the radio but nothing too interesting. It is no joke, I wish they would come up with some other magic bullet that let us keep our oestrogens! Xx

• Hello and so sorry about the side effects you are experiencing.  I have been In Anastrazole for almost 2 years and no weight gain.  I do have some restless nights but not too often thank goodness as that is terrible and you feel too exhausted to do much.  I take melatonin occasionally and that helps.  My main symptoms from the Anastrazole is dry mouth at night and I feel like I have cotton mouth.  I use xylimelts for it and it helps some.  Get muscle type aches mainly in my quads and feel more stiff so try to limber up and do stretches daily and bike ride about 5 days a week.  I miss my estrogen!!! Guess this is my new normal!!

I hope you feel better and if not there may switch you to either letrozole or exemestane.  Bye for now.

Barbara 

• Are you in the Uk, as I thought melatonin wasn’t licenced for sale here ??

• My daughter has just bought me some Lemme Sleep gummies, in the UK, which contain melatonin & magnesium. 
    Could be a small dose is licensed? 

• Hi  I was on tamoxifen for 12 years and had weight gain, now on Anastrozole and no change to weight. I don’t like the weight but can’t do anything about it, I’ve tried. 
    im a twin and she is 1 1/2 inch taller than me and has been a bit heavier until I started tamoxifen, now I am heavier than her!! 
    I try not to wear tight clothing around my middle, but accentuate my boobs . I had mastectomy and reconstruction 20 years ago and a size larger. 
    I get down with it but try to accept me now.

im on sleep tablet, gp advised….

J

• My appointment with the clinical oncologist is next week so I’m going to discuss it then. Thank you 

• The immediate weight gain sounds just like me! I’m really trying to watch what I eat & it just seems to make zero difference. 
    This week I’m trying a small cup of Horlicks before bed. Hoping this helps. 
    thank you for replying 

• The weight I’ve gained is all around my stomach. I haven’t had reconstruction so I think the flatness of my chest just exaggerates my stomach more. 
    would prefer not to have gained the weight but in comparison to everything else my poor body has gone through it doesn’t matter, I guess. Just want to feel more like the old me minus the boobs

• Thats interesting, thanks . I’ll look those up Relaxed