Anastrozole weight gain & insomnia

• 28 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Hi, I’m 58 & had a double mastectomy in June last year. I’fe been taking Anastrozole since around September. My eating habits have not changed at all but my weight definitely has! Anyone else experienced weight gain taking this? The fact that I’m not sleeping either is doing nothing for my energy levels to be able to counteract the weight gain. I can be absolutely exhausted when going to bed but then just lay there wide awake. 2 hours sleep on a night is not uncommon. I’ve got a check up with my clinical oncologist in April but just wondered if anyone else has had these experiences with Anastrozole. 

• I'm on Tamoxifen, my 2nd year now. I'm 67 I have gained weight but not massively. My body had already changed with the post menopause effect. I try to be active but it is a bit uphill at times. Energy affected by hormone blockers. Are you still working? I was in Letrozole but my knee became so painfully I asked to change. Now on Bisphosphonates as well. I'm determined to keep dancing and doing things for me. I just think we have to have some fun, work out what would rock your boat the most. Can't work it out do it any way. I did it at 60, started doing things to work out what I most enjoyed. 

• Hi, I’m almost 59 & no longer working. I do live a very active life & never seem to get a minute. I’ve just got a walking treadmill to get moving whilst even watching the TV. Are you having bisphosphonate infusions or taking in pill form? I’ve got my second infusion in a couple of weeks. First one was fine & just felt a little achy the day after so hopefully my second will be easy too. 

• No I live in Florida and get it over the counter.  Easy peasy.  I wonder why can’t get in UK?

Barbara 

• No I live in Florida and can get it over the counter.  I wonder why not able to get in UK.  I take anywhere between 1 and 3 mg as needed.  

Barbara 

• I’m also on biphosphonates, infusion every 12 weeks now after a year of infusions every 6 weeks. Been taking them 2 years in total.

my knees have swollen up earlier this year and see gp next week. I’ve osteoarthritis too which I think makes it worse on the meds.

i find I have flu like symptoms and fatigue when every 6 week infusion, now each 12 weeks I have different symptoms each time, time before I couldn’t sleep much for 48 hours, this last time a bit fatigued 24 hours later. Very doable for me. 

not sure if knees are linked to infusion tho….havent asked…

health things comes in waves, I’m 69….new glasses, dentist stuff, hearing aids, now it’s knees… my age …

J x

• Yes Bis infusion. I want to try and do more and curb the appetite. I'm lazy now in-between activities but I've earned it. 

• I just had workshop on EFT, emotional freedom technique. Also known as tapping. It's on YouTube and Google. The person who showed us helped get herself back to work and helped her M.E. Ill try anything. I am sleeping better, which is why I did it in the first place. X

• I have been on Anastrozole for 6 months and am starting to see a weight gain.  I'm also experiencing numb fingers at night and yes 2 hours sleep sometimes.  Also I have painful joints on me  fingers. I'm starting to consider stopping the Anastrozole.  I have also been reading about cardio vascular issues being caused by this medication.  I need to consider whether the cancer is likely to return or whether possible cardio issues are more risky than the cancer returning.  I'm in a real dilemma. 

• Speak to your oncologist . I’ve just started A, he said there are different brands to try x 

• I had my clinical oncologist appointment just over a week ago & when I mentioned the problems I was having with my hands & feet, he said that 6 months from starting Anastrozole is when the effects on hands & feet ( small bones ) start to be felt. His advice was just keep moving & it’ll improve. 
    Regarding your comment on the effect of it on the cardiovascular system. I was only reading last night that good oestrogen levels protect your heart. 
    Seems that breast cancer is not an event but a whole journey!