Cold cap and chemotherapy treatment types

• 13 replies
  • 266 subscribers

I am keen to do the cold cap but my nurse said that some chemotherapy drugs my oncologist might not want me doing the cold cap?

Anyone know which chemo treatment this might be and has anyone experienced this? I don’t have my treatment plan yet. 

thanks 

• Hiya ,I have just finished 8 chemo sessions -4 of EC and 4 Docetaxel. Last one was last Thursday ,and feels quite a relief I have managed to get through the whole lot with no major unpleasant side effects .I have cold capped the whole way through ,but I did find that when I started chemo last October, they didn't seem overly keen on me trying the cold cap. It was only from reading on here about it ,and through my manager at work (who had gone through this in 2020) that I even knew what it was .I asked at the chemo pre assessment about cold capping and felt I was being talked out if it.I was told it doesn't always work (true) ,they weren't sure if anyone was there to fit it (they were l) ,it would mean staying in chemo unit so much longer .I said I still wanted to try but felt it was agreed very grudgingly .When I actually started chemo a few days later ,I found I was only the second person to be trying the cold cap ,so it did feel like I was being put off using it.Anyhow ,find out from them exactly the reason why they are  saying  the oncologist may not like it .After all ,its your hair and your treatment plan so they should be able to give you some facts 

• I’ve witnessed other patients on my chemo ward being dissuaded by some nurses from trying it. For me it has added  no more than 30 minutes onto my treatment time, I’ve got it down to a fine art.
    i was so glad I read up on the Paxman site and on the cancer hair care site before my chemo started. The nurses have been really helpful and supportive with me using it but I think this was because I made it clear from the start that I would be using it and I knew how it should be fitted for best results. I’m 6 treatments in and still have a full head of hair. 
    The Paxman site has a section that gives the success rates of cold capping for each different chemo treatment. For my treatment, paclitaxel, I have an 80% chance of keeping 50% of my hair.

• Thanks a lot. Yes this comment by the nurse surprised me as the hospital was fairly pro about using it so I wondered if there were genuine drugs that might dilute the effectiveness of the treatment. I can’t stand the thought of losing my hair so I would do anything to keep it. Fingers crossed and thanks again for advice very helpful! 

• Well done on getting through treatments, nearly out the other side now! Did the cold cap work for you? 

• Mixed results really ,but I have never lost all my hair which has meant a lot to me .First 3 weeks was fine ,then at the 3 week mark it started coming away which was awful .i got a wig ,but have only worn it once .i preferred beany hats with fancy headbands .it gradually slowed down ,and I probably lost about 60% but I noticed in December when I changed to docetaxel that there was new growth at the scalp and sides .now  that chemo has finished ,some of the older hair is still there ,but I have about 1-2 inches of fairly thick hair all over .So really, even though I didn't keep as much hair as some people ,it has really helped with the regrowth. 

• Hi!

i finished the last of my ‘chemo cocktail’ of docetaxel & carboplatin on jan 2nd & im so glad i tried the cold cap.  I have to say my unit were great and there was no issues with trying it ..  it did increase my stay by 2 hours (have to start to wear it 30 mins before treatment starts & keep it on for 90 mins after - but that was for my drugs.. think there’s a different timescale for different ones)..  Same as with Caff1, my hair did thin out a lot & I lost more on the top & sides (make sure the cap is as tight to the top of your head as it can be) but I never lost it all .. I cut it short though so my wig would fit better but I only wore it twice!! Bobble hats were great! & my running buffs/headscarves ..  I would say the cold cap really saved me from loosing all my hair & has definitely helped with the regrowth over the last 2 months ..  good luck & definitely go onto the Paxman site (my nurses gave me a booklet)…. Don’t be fobbed off if you want to cold cap! 
    Wishing you well with your treatment x. 

• *losing not loosing!!!

• Thanks to you both and great to hear the success! Can I ask if you have hair to shoulders and you keep some and lose some do you then have to cut your hair short or how does this work? 

• I started off with a bob ,just below neckline .but when it started coming out at 3/4 weeks I did have a meltdown and took the scissors to it and cut it to about 2inches all over ! I just couldn't bear the longer hairs getting everywhere. Now ,it's very short but at least I have a good covering all over the head ,even if it still looks scrappy .To be honest ,I'm just glad that I am seeing a good amount of regrowth 

• Hi SLou55, I cold capped throughout my chemo 4 EC and 4 Docetaxel. My oncologist and the nurses on the ward were very supportive with this. Whilst I did loose about 80% of my hair it is growing back thicker and curlier than before. Please don’t let them put you off. If you want to try it then stand your ground. If after the first one you decide it’s not for you then you don’t have to continue. If you don’t try it and then later down the line want to you won’t be able to as it needs to be done from the start. I don’t know of any chemo that you can’t use it with but maybe someone else know. 
    Wishing you all the best

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x