Still at the start of a long journey

• 3 replies
  • 268 subscribers

So I saw my gp at the start of December as I found a lump. I got a letter 2 weeks later inviting me to my mammogram on New Year’s Eve.   I suspected there was a problem when after the ultrasound I was sent for more images on the mammogram machine then back into the ultrasound room where biopsies were taken. Was told to expect a 2-4 week wait for the results.  4 weeks later it was confirmed that I do have breast cancer it’s a grade 2 invasive lobular cancer that is estrogen and progesterone responsive but her2 neg. Was told next step would be MRI. 

I had the MRI 2 weeks ago and was told it would be a 2-3 week wait for the results.  Being a bit impatient I called me breast care nurse and asked if there were any updates today.  I need to go for another ultrasound and possibly more biopsies on another area of the same breast. Hopefully once that’s done and results are back I will know what extent of surgery is needed. I know I will need radio therapy and that I will have to take the tamoxifen I started nearly a month ago for the long haul.

i know they need as much information as possible to get treatment right first time but that doesn’t help when I’m feeling frightened by it all.

• Hi MamaHill

Welcome to the forum and Iam sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever comes next for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis. I can't really add much in terms of what happens next. I just logged in to go to my ovarian cancer forum. I don't know much about your situation.

I do know about fear and worry though. Easy to say, hard to do-try to focus on the fact they do know what they're doing. Use the forums and any support lines or groups you can find. I think there are some to be found on social media.

Good luck on your journey

Helena x

• Hi MamaHill,

It is perfectly natural for you to be feeling like this. I too was in the same boat between finding a lump in October with another area being picked up in my other breast through til December.  Everyone tells you they need to collect all the information but it doesn't make you feel any better. However,  once the information has been gathered appointments come in thick and fast! I saw my surgeon on the 8th January with my lumpectomy,  masectomy and lymph nodes removed on the right side on the 24th January followed by physio, oncologist,  blood tests and chemo starting on Friday. 

Try to stay positive in this 'waiting game time'. Please let us know how you are getting on and if you have any questions, ask away. I have been pleasantly surprised by all of my surgeries and I have responded well to the treatments and it has only been discomfort rather than pain.

Take care x