Scared to take the Letrozole

• 29 replies
  • 260 subscribers

Hi I was diagnosed with Breast cancer in January and had mammaplasty plus sentinel lymph node biopsy and symmetrising mastopexy surgery 12 days ago. I see the consultant on Thursday this week for the outcome of surgery/ lymph node biopsy results. Up to now the plan is 1 week's radiotherapy and letrozole for 5 to 7 years (plan may change on Thursday).  I'm really worried about the letrozole as so many people have had bad experiences on here when taking it. Has anyone tolerated it ok? Has anyone declined to take it? Thanks xx

• Hi - I also have a meeting with my consultant on Thursday to discuss the results of the lumpectomy I had on the 6th February . If the treatment goes to plan then it would be radiotherapy and hormone therapy . I am reading about the long term side effects of hormone therapy and find it really worrying . 

• Hi - I felt the same when prescribed it.  I braved it and started taking it 4 weeks ago and so far so good.  The only thing I am finding is that if I do too much cleaning or hoovering it makes my wrists ache.  I’m seeing my oncologist soon so will also ask about vitamin d & calcium as Letrozole can cause osteoporosis - I also have an infusion of Zoledronic acid every six months to assist with bone density. 

• Hi Detchen it's really difficult to make a decision on this, I would usually respect the expertise of the medical team and that's probably what I'll end up doing and hope the side effects aren't too horrific but it just sounds so awful, I'll definitely be asking for more information about it on Thursday. I hope all goes well for you on Thursday aswell.

• Thanks for that Joules52 nice to here a reasonable tolerance. I already have hot flushes as stopped HRT in January and have already had various aches and pains for years which so I'm just hoping it doesn't get too much worse. I've been unable to sleep very much partly due to hot flushes if sleep gets worse it'll hardly be worth going to bed!

• I do get a flushed face but this started when I had chemo - someone did recommended getting a cooling mat (also used for animals) which she keeps under her pillow so she can use it at night.  I’ve got my next pack from the gp but it appears to be a different make of Letrozole so I’m hoping my tolerance remains the same.

• Hi, I've been taking letrozole for over two years. If I don't do enough walking I get a little stiff and sore,  it other than t have no issues at all. I also take a calcium supplement and have 6 monthly zoledronic acid (bisphosphonates) as well.  Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi.I have been taking letrozole for 4 weeks,so far so good,my blood pressure is a little high but that happened during chemo.I also have the zoledronic acid infusions.Hope all goes well for you.onwards & upwards.hugs.x

• I've noticed no side affects since taking it pre second operation in November. I am post-menopause it might be worth noting

• Thanks for the reply that makes me a bit less nervous x

• Thank you nice to know it might be ok Blush