Going through the process

• 7 replies
  • 270 subscribers

Hi 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 28 November, a 15mm tumor in the left breast.

I had surgery on the 29 December, which went really well and healing well. I am scheduled to start chemotherapy in 2 weeks and am struggling to come to terms with it all.

What is chemo like? Is it really painful and horrendous? What are the worst points and how do you cope with it all? Is the hair loss different with everyone and when should I expect my hair to start falling out? I have requested to use the cold cap, but should I just embrace the loss, if its going to fall out anyway?

I live alone but have older children, but really don't want them to see it at my lowest as still trying to be strong for them.

I have received so much information from the hospital but would appreciate real life experiences that really outlines what to expect and what little thing help.

Thank you in advance X

• Hi mc13,

I am so sorry you are going through this. I had 6 rounds of chemo April through to end of July. We all react differently to chemo so your experience may differ, Im 62. My advise is take all the support offered, friends and family will want to help and we have to admit at times we need it. Although at the moment chemo will seem to last for a long time, it soon passed and like childbirth it’s memory quickly fades. I didn’t find EC too bad but docataxel and the injections I took for a week afterwards did floor me for a few days. I got out most days for a walk and even got on my bike on occasions. 

I used the cold cap. The reason I used it was because I was aware that a small percentage of women had permanent hair loss from docataxel, 4% I think. I read several small studies that all insinuated that the cold cap protected hair follicles and reduced this risk. I had hair thinning and a bald patch on the top of my head (I think that occurred as I didn’t have the cold cap on tight enough). The first time I used the cold cap I was anxious, at one point I thought I can’t do this but your scalp goes numb and the rest of the time it was ok. I took a blanket and the chemo nurse provided a electric warming sheet they sometimes use to sight an IV. My hair started to grow back even before chemo had finished and 7 months on my hair is 3-4 inches long. I don’t look like I’ve had cancer treatment. 

I understand you not wanting your children to see you at your lowest we want to protect them, even when they are adults. I’m sure you have brought them up to be good people and they will be there for you I’m sure. 

• Hi, we all experience chemo differently but for me I was able to continue working, though with some flexibility.  I blogged throughout my treatment and this one might be of particular interest as it's stuff I wish I'd known before chemo Chemo blog link

I echo what Shade says about taking all the help you can get, especially as there will undoubtedly be days when you are tired and don't feel like doing much.   Best of luck for this next phase 

Community Champion badge

• Hi MC13

i went through chemotherapy EC I found the worse , I was having it every three weeks and I found the fifth and sixth day the worse but it soon passed I then went on to paclitaxel which I had no side effects.I managed throughout my chemotherapy to walk everyday and to carry on as normal although l was tied but I did rest when I felt fatigued.

Hair loss , I did not do cold cap and lost my hair within three weeks of my first EC.  I was fine it took me a few weeks to get used to having no hair but l mainly wore bandannas which I found more comfortable l finished my chemotherapy October 2023 and my hair started growing back before my treatment ended and l now got a good covering of hair . Four months on I forgot about going through the chemotherapy you soon forget .

take care you will be fine 

• Hi

Thank you so much for your reply and honesty. The blog really helped, its the small things that the doctors do not tell you that really help.

Wearing leggings during the infusions, didn't even think about losing nose hair! Wearing a hat aftercoming out of chemo as your head will be cold. These all really help and give an honest and real account of what to expect.

I am feeling a little more confident now and not so daunting.

Thank you X

• Thank you for your reply. 

Its all a bit daunting, but talking to others who have been through the process and getting a real account of what to expect really helps.

I wish you all the very best X

• Thank you so much for reply.

I really appreciate the accounts of real experiences. The doctors / nurses can outline the process, but its the little things that they don't tell you can make all the difference.

I wish you all the very best X

• Hi mc13.  I used the cold cap and kept my hair although it thinned a lot.  It grew back quite thick which is nice.  My nails have been very brittle and still break easily.  If you’re going to try the cold cap take a warm blanket and cosy socks.  Also it’s freezing at first but after several minutes I didn’t notice it.  There are medications for the side effects so it’s really important not to suffer but tell your nurse every time and get help.  You’re going to need your loved ones to support you and they will want to.  Please tell them what you’re going through.  I wish I had done so sooner but I found it the hardest thing telling my family.  X