Newbie here

• 3 replies
  • 269 subscribers

Hi all just got date to start Chemo had grade 1 on left and grade 2 on 2 tumours (hormones receptive) were removed and margins clear on 2nd op on the grade 2 - to reduce the risk of it coming back in the future got to have chemo, radiotheraphie, immune system injections and hormone tablets.

I am due to start the first set of chemo on the 20th and i feel soooooooo scared. I am going to give the cold cap a go but just so scared of the chemo.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

• Hi, everybody is scared of chemo, Its rough on your system but its not unbearable. There so many different types some better than others. When i had my chemo 20 years back it was much harsher and i believe in speaking to others it not as bad now. Dont get me wrong its not a walk in the park but there are pills and lotions to help you get through. They will offer sickness pills i for one took everything they offererd me why suffer. I did not use a cold cap but i have known many who were very successful with it and did not loose much hair. Try not to overthink it, it is what it is and needed to aid your recovery. All the best in your future treatment. x

• I felt the same before my first chemo, I went in shaking and had a bit of a cry. I’m now halfway through and it’s been ok. Worst part is the fatigue but that’s manageable and I’m still getting out every day, doing stuff with my kids and working from home on some days. You just need to listen to your body and take a break when you need it. I’ve been seen by a reflexologist at the hospital to manage symptoms so ask your nurse if your hospital offers any complementary therapies. The staff on the ward are all lovely, which really helps and I’m sure you’ll find the same. Good luck! 

• Hi I had breast cancer in my left breast 10 years ago, it was stage 2. I had a mastectomy then chemo and radiotherapy and was on tamoxifen for 10 years. But I've just been diagnosed Dec just gone with breast cancer again in my right breast which is a different cancer then the last one. It is stage 3 and a aggressive one, so am on my 9th chemo now which just makes me feel like,e I've not much energy and having aching joints but apart from that it's not to bad, I take the antisickness tablets if I need them. I've tried the cold cap this time and my hair has been fine. So it's worth trying it it gets very cold and painful on your head but after about 15 minutes it eases off so you tend to get used to it so bear with it. Am having my operation around may when my first lot of treatment has fin then more chemo after that. But good luck xx