Diagnosed yesterday and feeling scared!

• 17 replies
  • 273 subscribers

Hello

im 45 and felt a large lump in my breast. Yesterday I had 2 mammograms and an ultrasound to which they confirmed that it was cancer. The doctor said it is between 2-3 cm but I think I heard her say 21mm by 16mm. 
they took a biopsy (which I found very painful) and I have to wait 2 weeks. The waiting from first finding the lump is so hard and I just keep expecting the worst!! They did say they are confident it is confined to the breast though.

So I’m worried about the grading. Does it get graded by size or what they find in the biopsy results? 
I have 2 boys (13 & 15) and it broke my heart to tell them. 
Im really trying to be strong but the worry is overpowering. 
Any advice on grading will be great! 

• Hi, I went through a similar experience last year and yes it is a shock and very scary when you find out and it’s not the news you want to hear. I had my regular mammogram in 2022 and it was fine and last year I found a lump and had a 2cm tumor. I totally get how you feel right now, the not knowing everything interim period is very difficult as your brain can go into overdrive. The best advice I can give you right now, and I know you will think yes thats easy to say, but try not to think what if this what if that questions in your head, as over thinking will make you feel even more anxious than you already do. The biopsy will give them the grade of 1 2 or 3, what this means is how fast the cancer is growing, mine was 2 which is middle diddle, the biopsy will also tell you the type of cancer it is, honestly I didn’t realise how many types there were! I had hormone receptive cancer which is very common it means it fed off hormones. Please don’t google breast cancer as until you have your biopsy results you start reading stuff that may not be relevant to you. The website my cancer nurse recommended for me which was really helpful was Breast Cancer Now. I know I’ve already said it but stick with what you know, this is an anxious time, but hand on heart when you go back for your result you will leave that appointment feeling so positive as knowledge is power and you will feel so informed and know exactly what your cancer is and what your course of treatment will be. Stay strong. Peace and love.

• Hi Emlu

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis of breast cancer. I hope you don't mind me replying as I had a different type of cancer but I happened to see your question about the grading and thought I would reply. 

This link explains the grading for you.

Staging and grading of breast cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

I can remember how tough it is to wait for results and to find out what happens next. It is so important though for the doctors to have a clear picture so they can advise you on the best treatment. 

I remember having to tell my son about my own cancer (endometrial) and it was really hard but in the end it was best for him to know.

If talking things through would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. The number is below and they are lovely on there. 

I hope that you do not have to wait too much longer for your biopsy results to come back and I wish you well with your treatment.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi there, I was diagnosed 14th November with HER2 Positive breast cancer and life has been like a whirlwind ever since. It is a complete rollercoaster ride mentally and physically. Like others have said try to stay away from Google there is far too much information out there which will just frankly terrify you. The cancer nurses are fab so don't hesitate to reach out to them for anything.

Take care x  

• Hi

My Story is exactly the same as yours although my lump is 29-39mm, I was also diagnosed on Friday .

The waiting for biopsy results is just killing me , trying to be strong but it just takes my breath away . I also have 2 children (12&15 ) and am 45

, I just finding it hard to carry on as normal .

• From mammography in August and being told bilateral breast cancer in Sep - I can only say I am blessed that I had the best medical care - in under 6 weeks from start to finish I had  my surgery on both breasts on 1st Nov and best care from the breast care nurses. What is important is to develop a positive mental attitude and know you have help and support in hand - NHS breast care teams are one of the bests and they have protocols and service levels where they have to complete everything within 6 weeks - most importantly you will be floored by the love and generosity of every healthcare worker starting from receptionist to nurse to specially nurse macmillan nurses doctors consultants and all technicians - they have nothing but love for you - so that will ease you - you need to believe that you will get through this and come out stronger and better after all treatment 

positive mind set is so important - I am 52 and I have two children who are much older (33&21) but nevertheless we discussed the diagnosis and all treatments openly - talking helped me know I have the strength in my families support.  

keep to your daily normal routine and eat healthy try sleeping well - very important that you mind reconciles and ready to receive the treatment - because that will help your body accept the intervention and heal

worrying  serves no one and will only cause more stress and body inflammation - all fuel the cancer so breathe and know Even this shall pass away 

love and prayers xx

• Hi I was told the same this week mine is between 2 -3 cm too so just awaiting biopsy results hating this waiting just want to know now

• Hi

I know exactly how you feel. I went to my GP on 29th November and was referred to the breast clinic. My appointment on 21st December felt like the longest wait ever. I was beside myself with worry. I had a Mammogram, ultrasound and 3 biopsies then had to wait until 4th January for my next appointment although the consultant did say he was pretty certain it was cancer. Christmas and New Year were extremely difficult as the imagination goes into overdrive and there were extra delays due to the holidays. At my next appointment we assumed I would get all my information and a treatment plan. I was really upset to be told to come back for a contrast mammogram as the tissue was dense and they wanted a clearer picture. Another agonising wait until 15th January. I was told they didn't find anything unexpected and they could gauge the exact size of tumour (around 3.7cm) which was a big relief as I was certain they were going to find more bad news. I went back to the clinic on 19th January and was given all the information. I have a grade 3 tumour which means it's fast growing, Oestrogen receptive and HER2 negative. If it had been HER2 positive it would mean having Chemo before surgery. My treatment plan is surgery on 19th February, then depending on Lymph node results, either Chemo then Radiotherapy or just Radiotherapy. I have been offered a Therapeutic Mammoplasty as my tumour is large and would have left me very uneven. I will end up with smaller, perkier boobs which is a win at my age (65)! I can honestly say that although it has been horrendous with all the waiting and worrying, everything has been done for good reason, to get all the facts before planning. I feel much more relaxed now knowing I'm in the best hands and there is a plan which will give me the best possible outcome. As my consultant said, there have been huge strides in improvements to treatment in the last two or three years. I am taking Letrozole, which I will be on for the next 10 years, which will also helps arrest the growth of my tumour until I have surgery. You will feel much better when you have all the facts and know when treatment will start. It's then a day nearer to finishing. Keep in mind success rates are extremely high and stay strong and positive. My best wishes are with you - you will get through this and come out stronger on the other side.

• Thanks it’s just not knowing the treatment the waiting is awful I am only 40 and got teenager and a toddler so just want to know

• It's definitely the worst part. Once you know, you feel like you're progressing and can deal with it much more easily. You have youth on your side and success rates are brilliant now. I joined a couple of local support groups (not usually my thing at all) and it's been invaluable already. You can't beat talking to people who have been through it. I've also used a Paul McKenna deep relaxation video on YouTube which has really helped me calm down when panic was due to break out. Just try anything you think may help, even getting out for a walk. There is so much support out there.

• Ok thank you I will do I’ll see what’s local to me