Seroma

• 15 replies
  • 263 subscribers

I had a mastectomy last Friday and I have noticed a slight sloshing noise from near my wound. I have read about seroma and have been told that it is pretty common but is the sloshing noise usual and how long have others had it for ?

TIA 

JJ

1. Not to scare you I still have mine post surgery slowly going .Had it drained twice they have told me my body will absorb it within 12 months and I have had it for 6 months it feels a bit uncomfortable at times but hopefully it goes down.Hopefully yours will go quickly and you don't see get it the same problem 
  • Hi Craftynursey

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with breast cancer and needed a mastectomy.  The sloshing noise is not unusual.  I had the same as you after my lumpectomy and my bcn drained it for me a few times.  Mine lasted for about a month following surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever comes next.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Sending you healing thoughts for your recovery. My BCN did mention sloshing and said they could drain it if it happened, but like others have said the body should absorb it eventually. My understanding is it happens because the body feels like the space that was needs filling?!? I haven't experienced this yet (I had a mastectomy 16th Oct) but I have been looking out for it.

1. Hi, Craftynurse ( love the name!) I had a therapeutic mammoplasty and excision 7 weeks ago and developed a seroma in the affected breast 24 hrs post surgery. It's very disconcerting when you hear your breast sloshing like a hot water bottle, especially when doing the physio exercises but mine resolved in about a month. I'm having some problems with my wounds but this wasn't caused by the seroma. Hopefully yours will clear up soon and your recovery goes well. Good luck!
  • Hi Craftynursey,

I had a single mastectomy on the 19th and I also have the same sloshing noise and feeling I described it as a water bed Rofl I spoke to my bcn yesterday and she has said the same as the others that it should reabsorb, however if it starts to become painful I have to ring them back. I have a follow up appointment on the 13th so they will check it then 

I hope you’re recovering well.

• Good morning. 

It's a really weird feeling isn't it. I had an appointment with my breast cancer nurse do review my wound and she told me that it is common.

She also told me that she drained nearly a litre off of one lady so a small amount only is a strange kind of blessing.

Hope you are healing well and keeping positive 

Craftynursey 

• Yeah it is a really weird feeling.

Wow a litre Flushed that’s a lot. Glad yours isn’t that.

I hope you are healing well.

yes I’m staying positive and healing well

• Hi I'm 2 years post operation and still have it. In march this year I had my first drain where over 50mls was removed. Six months later another 50mls was removed and an antibiotic was put in the breast. I had an adverse reaction to this and an abscess became the third breastand when lanced over 100mls was removed. This was then followed with fluid being removed every week for the next 6 months. I have just returned from a 24 night holiday,and I'm due to see my consultant next week. Hopefully plan will be made to completely get rid of it. 

I hope this doesn't happen to you but it's better to be prepared. 

• Hi. My chest wall felt so uncomfortable and tight that I had some fluid drained yesterday. 360 ml. The relief that I found afterwards was amazing.