Tamoxifen

• 22 replies
  • 271 subscribers

Hi, I’m about to start tamoxifen as I have finished my chemo and radiotherapy. Bit nervous as ready side effects of blood clots and allergic reactions seem to be 1 in 10 Slight frown

Just wondered how people had got on with this drug? 

Thanks cuffcake x x x x x

• My Mum took this for 5 years and didn't have any significant side effects (according to her).

Me & my Dad would probably say she had an extremely short temper.  Whether it was the tamoxifen or menopause she did turn a bit mardy.

I think it's on my treatment list too.

• Hi MrsP2003, thank you for this. It’s great your mum didn’t have any significant side effects. My main side effect I’m worried about is blood clots. It’s one of the side effects I have worried about all throughout my treatment. 
    I hope all goes well with your treatment.

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Hi I am starting tamoxifen on Monday after a break from letrozole which I persevered with for two years.  I am dreading starting it and the side effects as well. How have you been xx 

• I am ok so far, on my second pocket. It's the effect on the liver as well. I have a friend who got a blood clot travelling from Japan, 30 hr journey a large part on a coach. She had BC 18 yrs ago. Ankle circling it anything to keep the blood moving. Hope all goes well for all of us. Xx

• Hi Figgy2019, I’ve taken tamoxifen for just over a month. I have Mylan brand. So far other than hot flushes which I think everyone gets I’ve only had a bit of an achy hip, however I’m not sure if that’s the tablets or just me having a bit of a sore point as it has started to ease. Not really painful enough for painkillers just the odd grumble now and again when getting up from a chair. My main concern was blood clots but I’ve been drinking plenty of water so am hoping that helps and also not sitting for long periods of time. Compared to letrozole there doesn’t seem to be many people complaining about tamoxifen so am guessing it doesn’t seem to affect people the same way. My oncologist said normally it’s the fillers they use in the meds that causing the issues rather than the actual product itself. Different brands have different fillers. When I spoke to the pharmacy they recommended trying 2 or 3 brands so I would have a list of which ones work well and which ones aren’t so good. My next prescription in 3 months is a different brand so I’ll give them a go and see how I get on. 
    Wishing you all the best 

Hugs from cuffcake x x x x x

• Forgot to say I take the tablet at night, that way the main hot flushes are overnight rather than during the day Thumbsup

• Thankyou going to start Sunday night !   Will let you know how I get on xx 

• I have been on Tamoxifen for 9 months now and every month I get a new brand as the chemist doesn't have stock of the ones I like (Mylan and Tilomed) the others I found made me really bloated and hormonal  - I don't think I have experienced any physical side effects - maybe a little weight gain but emotionally I am much more short tempered and a little snappy (sorry family) I am doing more exercise now (running and yoga) and that definitely helps. I am also having Zolodex (ovarian suppression) injections every 3 months - that is making me feel very warm and clammy (this could be like mild hot flushes) and I can get low mood sometimes which I've never really experienced before so I can only attribute that to the tamoxifen or Zoladex. I've looked a lot on line for any supplement's I can take to counteract the above but most of the ones available are HRT related and we can't take them. 

• Had the same thought as you, it was my last option to try , 2 months in seems ok ,( touch wood)