Abemaciclib in Scotland

• 46 replies
  • 272 subscribers

Hello. Does anyone happen to know if Abemaciclib is available yet in Scotland for primary breast cancer? At my last oncologist appointment I was told it wasn't available, but I'm wondering if that has changed. Thanks.

• Hi there - you can look it up on the Scottish Medicines Consortium website here

• Thank you Mmum. That's very useful.

It does seem from the website that it has now been approved in Scotland, which is good news. However, my oncologist also said that even if it gets approved there is still the question of funding. If the funding isn't approved then we still don't get it. I would be very interested to hear from anyone  in Scotland who is receiving it for primary breast cancer.

• You can use the search facility for "Abemaciclib" and it shows that these people appear to be on it:        

Regarding the funding approval - that's the same for any treatment.  Behind the scenes when we are prescribed these drugs, someone in oncology is filling out forms for approval and being on the SMC list is a part of it.  It's explained in more detail here.

• Hi Veep, I live in Scotland and am on Abemaciclib , now onto my 6th cycle. My consultant said its not a clinical trial , however my tablets are being supplied and funded by the manufacturer, not the NHS. 

• Hiya 

I’m in Scotland and have recently started Abemaciclib. I get it privately though . My onco who also works for NHS said that although it has now been approved by SMC , that it’s nigh on impossible to access via NHS atm for other reasons

I’m guessing it’ll depend on your area though , postcode lottery again ! Definitely worth an ask for your area 

L xx

• Thank you again Mmum. That was really useful.

• Interesting. Thanks GalaQ.

• Thanks dollydimple. I've just spoken to my oncologist and he confirmed that although it's been approved now, it's still not possible to get it. However, he says if the situation changes, I would still be given it. We're meeting again in May to discuss. Fingers crossed it's available then.

• Argh that’s incredibly frustrating! Which area are you in ? ( it’s ok if you don’t want to say ) , as this seems to make a difference too 

I hope it’s available in May for you xx

• I've just spoken to my oncologist and he confirmed that although it's been approved now, it's still not possible to get it.

Have you considered a wee polite letter to your MSP gently enquiring why this is the case?  Also cc your oncologist.    It's all change in the Scottish gov atm and a new Health Secretary pending.  Plus Health is devolved.    I'm intrigued by this - clearly there is more going on if a listing on the SMC is still not enough to get access to an approved drug.