Oncotype DX results

• 4 replies
  • 270 subscribers

I have just had a skin sparing nipple sacrificing mastectomy after being diagnosed with a 3.3cm lump in my right breast with no spread to the lymph nodes. The cancer is ER positive and HER2 negative.

My consultant told me that because the cancer hadn't spread (sentinel lymph node biopsies were negative) and they had taken all the cancer away that I would just need hormone blocking medication for the next 5 years and almost certainly not need chemotherapy, but they would send off a sample of the tumour to the USA for an advanced test called Oncotype DX which can assess the likelihood of recurrence.

To my absolute shock and horror the test results came back as 36 which is classed as high risk of recurrence (anything over 26 on a scale of 0-100)

Now I am facing the possibility of 6 cycles of chemotherapy over 28 weeks. I have not had an appointment with an oncologist yet and I don't know what to think. 

As I understand it, having chemotherapy doesn't guarantee that it won't come back, but reduces the risk.

How can I evaluate whether the reduction in risk is worth the possible side effects? 

Is there anyone here who has gone through a similar experience and opted NOT to have chemotherapy?

I have read a few posts where people are asking whether or not to have it and the responses have mainly been to advise to go ahead.

Any advice would be really helpful. I am feeling scared and overwhelmed.

• Hi Helenr

• I have the same type as you but had a lumpectomy. My oncotype score was 30 so my Oncologist advised me to have Chemo. I'm 67 and went with her advice and also had 15 sessions of radiotherapy. Now on Anastrozole, alendronic acid and ad-cal. 
    • I felt that if I was going to fight the cancer I would take all that I was offered.
    • My treatment began in September 2021 and finished 22nd December 2021. 
    • Whatever decision you make you will come through it. 
    • Hope this was helpful.
  • Hi HelenR

I had a very similar conversation with my oncologist today, albeit I was told ahead of time they anticipated I would be borderline as to needing chemo as well as hormone therapy. 

I know its scary, so suggest you think about all the qs you have before you speak to your oncologist so they are prepped so even feeling emotional you can make sure you cover them.

I asked mine what decision he would make and if he could quantify the risks of each treatment, the options being hormone treatment only, 12 weeks of one type of chemo or 24 weeks of another type. I've decided to go with the middle option - as my oncologist said doing the chemo would have a significant impact of reducing reoccurrence (reducing risk by c25%), but that the risk reduction for me between the two chemo options was negligible, say 1%/2% at most.

For me, I'd rather take some pain now, and know I did what I could now, rather than if it did return and I didn't do chemo, I would know I would always be kicking myself and wonder if I had, would I still be in that position. 

Good luck, and remember you know what's best for you

• Hi Helen r I have same oncorype score whay did you do in the end 

• Hi,

I had a really long chat with the oncologist who was absolutely brilliant and listened to all my questions and anxieties over the prospect of chemotherapy.

After assessing my particular case and noting other health issues (hypothyroidism) and sensitivities/ side effects to other medications, she offered me an alternative treatment which I decided to go ahead with. Instead of 6 rounds of chemo, I have an infusion of zoledronic acid (brand name Zometa)once every 6 months for 3 years plus hormone therapy for 5 years (Exemestane) this reduces the risk of recurrence and also helps maintain bone density, which is a negative side effect of taking estrogen suppressant tablets.

The difference in reduced risk between this and chemotherapy was 5%, so in other words, if I went down the chemo route I would still have a 10% risk of recurrence and with Zometa a 15% risk of recurrence.

I decided that the difference in side effects was so much less with Zometa than chemo that it was worth the slightly higher risk, PLUS, it protects my bone density which is very important. I prefer to look at it as a 85% chance of it NOT recurring! 

I have had 3 infusions so far and no side effects at all so far. I swapped from Letrozole to Exemestane as the Letrozole was turning me into a bit of a nutter ( mood swings, forgetfulness, crying for no reason and generally feeling a bit out of control emotionally.) Exemestane has been absolutely brilliant.

Hope this helps!